do i stand a chance ?? Phd - Macroeconomics

S

Hi guys, i will be really greatful to hear thoughts about my chances to getting a phd funding in economics (macroeconomics) in a 2nd tier uk university ......

my backgound is

I am non home/eu student

just got my Msc - Economics (York ) results - 60 % (disappointed ) (though in macro economics (where i want to do phd) i have marks in 70s and this was for the first time i studied economics)...

Bachelors - (overseas in accountancy - 64%) ......

I will really appreciate honest and frank evaluation of my chances of getting a funding for phd ....

Thanks a ton....

S

Hi , I thk as i didnt give much info so people were not able to evaluate my profile - hence no replies ... so here i have posted full profile ... pls see and evaluate ..

PROFILE:

Degrees  : Msc - economics (York University - UK )  - Overall score - 60 %
Undergraduate - Bachelor of Commerce , Indian University (average - no hot shot uni ) - 64 %
Math Courses: In Uk in Msc- econ they dont have any mathematics course
Econ Courses: advanced macro - 72/100 (Blanchard - Fischer , lecture of macroeconomics), advanced micro - 56/100 ( Mas collel) , econometrics - 50/100 ( Wooldridge) , International Macro- 64/100 (obstfeld/rogoff), Emerging market macro - 71/100 , public finance - 62/100 (myles) , public sector economics - 66/100  (stiglitz)
Other Courses: summer course in mathematics and statistics

Letters of Recommendation: 1 well known macro econ, 2 less well known econ, should be strong

Research Experience: theses for msc

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: macro economics - real business cycle , DSGE

others : i have a 4-5 yrs of work experience in accounting along with a professional accounting qualification , but maybe thats not of much use ....

looking for 2nd tier european university and just wanted to know my realistic changes of getting funding in them... and if yes, can you pls advice which ones ....

A

Dear Sunny,

You have quite a good profile for a PhD. To be honest, you have to face a harder competition if you want to apply this year (it is a bit late I guess for the September session, you might be able to apply for the January session) than what you had to if you applied last year. But I think there is really good chance of it. My advice to you will be to apply anywhere and everywhere possible. You might also be interested in approaching some faculties in different universities who have specific interest in macroeconomics. Universities of Nottingham, Manchester and New Castle might be of good interest.

Best of luck!(up)