Eligible for EPSRC funding with a 2.1?

D

Hi all,

I am in the process of applying for EPSRC funded PhD's. I recently emailed a department asking for help with filling in the application form and whether or not funding was attached to the project.
The responce I got was quite shocking. Basically I was told that home students apply for DTA awards provided by EPSRC, however, as I only have a 2.1 I would have very little chance of getting one.

Is this true? Is it now the case that funding is only available to the top students? If so then how does anybody with a 2.1 and not a first, seek funding?

Thanks

T

I got funding through the BBSRC with a 2.1 I don't see why the EPSRC studentships wouldn't be awarded to students with a 2.1.

But as they fund via a DTA then I suppose that the DTA criteria will be set by the university.. I wouldn't let the response from that department stop you from applying though I would still go for it.

S

i also got BBSRC funding with a 2:1, so it is not impossible! it can depend on the competitiveness of your subject though, as very competitive areas can afford to only accept people who got a first. i would say it differs from uni to uni and department to department, so keep looking!

P

I got a 2:1 at BSc level and got funding from the EPSRC to do a computer science PhD.

I know someone who got a 2:2 at BSc level and even she got funding....

Perhaps it depends on the area?