ESRC Studentship Results

T

I know it's early to be bringing this up, but I am chomping at the bit waiting for the ESRC Studentship results.

Does anyone have any success stories I can compare my proposal to? Yes I know its meaningless, but it will make me feel better.

Thanks.

J

is it the open comp you have gone thru?

T

Yeah it is. The results are out in about 2-3 weeks and its doing my loaf in.

And I have just realised the title of the thread is a little misleading. Sorry to all those who hoped to find a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow.

J

Ahh. I don't know about that one am afraid. Good luck!!!!

E

I totally sympathise, I'm in exactly the same position - it's maddening have to wait so long to find out and there seems to be almost no information available on past successes.

L

No success stories I'm afraid - just to say that I'm in the same position too and know how you feel!

Just found out about my +3 ESRC Application direct from the university I applied through...and I was unsuccessful. My application was apparently 'Alpha rated' (which is good) but I still didn't get the studentship (which is bad).

Still the university I have applied through has invited me to re-apply through them against next, so that will be plenty of time spent over the next few months fine tuning my research proposal.

Good luck to anyone still waiting for their ESRC results!

T

Sorry to hear that. Its a tough competition. But you are right, a whole year to fine tuine your proposal.

Good luck for next year!

L

Oh no, now I'm worried - I thought universities were not informed of the outcome until next week? Sorry you didn't get funding. I have a feeling I will be unsuccessful too but can't help holding on to that tiny glimmer of hope until I know for definite.

Yeah I had a feeling that I wasn’t going to get the studentship as well (which turned out to be right). This was partly because I decided to leave apply quite late and the whole thing, including putting together my research proposal, was quite rushed. Hopefully I can improve the whole thing for next year and get either ESRC funding or a university studentship then.

I always thought I’d find out with a letter through the post, but the university found out today and emailed me straight away to let me know. Louisa23 (and everyone else waiting for results) I guess the university you are applying through knows now, since the university I applied through does. If you haven’t been contacted by phone or email you might have to wait for them to send out the results in a letter.

Best of luck!

L

Thanks - best of luck with putting together your proposal too. My proposal was rather rushed too and having failed to obtain university and departmental funding I am not holding out much for ESRC!

Anyone else heard anything?

E

Just found out I got the 3+1 funding, so results are definitely out. I heard from my tutor, so I think your uni will have the results, rather than direct to you. I didn't think I would have any chance of getting the funding, it came as a real shock (a nice one), so I feel for you guys who've not got it. I don't know exactly what clinched it; I think the combination of right student, project and tutor matching up helps.

E

We also did quite a detailed project proposal even though the guidelines say it can be quite vague -not sure they mean it! We did a timeline of potential projects over the 4years. Was a lot of work, I'm not sure how I got through the period of application. But putting specific time aside in your and your tutors diary and having a timetable for when you need the first draft and final proposal might help. Also spending time with your tutor a few weeks before might be useful to make sure you're both approaching it from the same direction. Good luck if you're still waiting x

T

Just got my results. An A+ proposal, but unsuccessful.

Good luck to those still waiting.

L

Congratulations emskib! You must be chuffed. What is your PhD looking at out of interest? Sorry you didn't get the news you were hoping for Terrywogan. I still haven't heard! Probably because they have phoned the successful candidates and popped a letter in the post to the rejects!