Funded PhD with a 2:2 and masters?

M

Hi everyone!

I'm an unfortunate soul who missed the desired 2:1 threshold by about a percent...I appealed against the verdict citing extenuating circumstances including prolonged illness and forced relocation due to my flat catching fire but to no avail...I also have complained to the independant adjudicator office but I have no idea what they will do if anything

Right now I'm doing a masters in biomedicine, so maybe I can redeem myself there...but is the 2:2 albeit almost a 2:1 completely damning for applying to most funded PhDs? I have applied to several already and been rejected.

Any insights and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks people!!!

K

======= Date Modified 18 Mar 2011 22:34:06 =======
Hey Mikail! It will probably make your life difficult but it's not impossible to get onto a funded PhD with a 2.2- I have a couple of friends with a 2.2 and an MSc who are on fully funded PhDs. The way they got around it was to work as a research assistant or whatever within a team first to get their foot in the door, and once they had established themselves in the team they applied for the PhD with the support of their supervisors. I think this is the best way to go about it. You probably won't have much luck just applying for PhDs that you see advertised- I would go for a paid position first, wait until you have proven yourself that way, and then go for a PhD within the same team assuming that your supervisor/boss is pleased with your work and believes that you are capable of it. That way, they can apply for the funding with you and you won't necessarily have to compete with anyone else for the place. And of course, a merit or a distinction on your MSc would go down well, but both my pals with 2.2s just got pass grades on their MSc and still managed to get their PhD after they'd worked within their team for a year or two and established themselves. So don't give up- but it might just take a little bit longer and a slightly different route! Having said that, you are in a different field to me and to both of my pals so someone else on here in your field might have a better idea than me! Good luck with it! KB

D

Keep trying as it's difficult to get onto a PhD even with a higher classification (2:1 or 1st). If you're not in you can't win as they say...
Having a completed masters under your belt will increase your chances and the higher the grade the better. But doing a masters and having a masters are two different things and having a masters may make the difference.

All the very best of luck!

M

Thanks very much people :)

I'm also wondering, a lot of PhDs simply seem to say 'Need first or upper second class degree,' but they dont mention a masters when advertised. Will these supervisors simply not accept anyone with a masters unless they already has a 1st or 2:1, meaning that a masters is a bonus at best to an already suitably qualified person? Or would someone with a masters, say if it was with merit or distinction manage to at least be considered do you think?

Also do any supervisors consider people who dont meet the required grade at their own discression if they thought the person was otherwise suitable?

A

======= Date Modified 19 Mar 2011 09:01:14 =======
Re: being considered if you don't fulfill the minimum requirements - again it depends!! If it is completely an online application it's probably harder to get in somewhere if you don't have the minimum. However, if you are making an individual pitch many potential supervisors will consider people based on their suitability etc. I know of at least two people, one mid-PhD, the other who successfully defended their viva before Christmas who didn't have the minimum qualifications. The two supervisors involved fought for them and got them in.

Be prepared to fight for your place and demonstrate if you can, to a real live person rather than a computer screening programme, why you are suitable.

Good luck with any future application

Edit: I also meant to say that technically a masters is a higher qualification than an undergrad so it should supersede minimum undergrad requirements (unless I suppose if the actual undergrad degree is essential to the PhD??). Possibly the applications you are looking at are for integrated masters/PhDs, the 1+3 programmes that are becomming more and more common?

B

======= Date Modified 19 Mar 2011 10:48:25 =======
Hi Mikail,

I have a friend who got a 2:2 degree classification and has just completed a PhD Studentship. My friend worked initially as a Research Assistant for the PhD supervisor, and was then offered a studentship when one came available. Another option might be to do voluntary research work. I think it looks good on the CV as it shows that you genuinely want to do research and develop lab and research skills.

Good luck!

Quote From Mikail:

Hi everyone!

I'm an unfortunate soul who missed the desired 2:1 threshold by about a percent...I appealed against the verdict citing extenuating circumstances including prolonged illness and forced relocation due to my flat catching fire but to no avail...I also have complained to the independant adjudicator office but I have no idea what they will do if anything

Right now I'm doing a masters in biomedicine, so maybe I can redeem myself there...but is the 2:2 albeit almost a 2:1 completely damning for applying to most funded PhDs? I have applied to several already and been rejected.

Any insights and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks people!!!

For funding, either a 2(i) on it's own or a 2(ii) plus Masters (considered equivalent from a funding point of view) should be okay. It's now a matter of how you sell yourself for potential PhD studentships.

I will comment a couple of years in the real world (general research and development will do) would help your cause.

M

Quote From strawberrygirl:

Rather than thinking only about your overall mark you should also try to demonstrate that you have the ability to work at the level of a first or a IIi even if it's not what you got as your final classification. So you should write, wherever possible on the form, something that demonstrates your higher marks, along the lines of;

'my asessment marks during my degree included 72, 65, 63 indicating my ability to ...(whaever is relevant in your field!)..

it's better if you can show some higher marks as it shows that you can operate at this level.

I was wondering if I should mention marks, including if i should write that I barely missed a 2i etc and I had circumstances but I just dont want to make it seem like sour grapes that i didnt get it

As it happens though I have got some pretty good marks in certain things, I wasnt a steady 50% student, I had a fair few 70s but a couple of really bad marks which let me down. My exams werent amazing either; I didnt fail any but they were mostly just short of a 2i, but then I guess the ability to do exams well and do a phd arent fully intechangeable.

Even though I've written some cover letters I'm not sure how to sell my CV as best as possible for a PhD project. I have loads of extracurricular activities; sports played to a v high standard, lots of volunteering, community work etc, but as far as I see that cant really be related to suitability to do a phd except the generic 'ability to manage time.'

I'm not sure what else really, I've had an internship with an environmental organisation which I can talk about, specially if I'm applying for a PhD in that field but what else? :s