Funding applications after starting a PhD

F

I'm starting my PhD in September but managed to miss the university funding deadlines which were in February this year. I'm concerned about the possibility of getting funding after starting my studies. Should I defer and try to get funding over the next year or just go for it and try to get funding along the way?

Quote From FinnicketyKick:
I'm starting my PhD in September but managed to miss the university funding deadlines which were in February this year. I'm concerned about the possibility of getting funding after starting my studies. Should I defer and try to get funding over the next year or just go for it and try to get funding along the way?

I wouldn't like to try and finance myself through a PhD without funding, that's for sure.

It's tempting to say start and try again for funding next year, however, in your position I'd personally have had to defer and try to gain funding for the following year. Fees plus living expenses would have set me back about £50,000 oing it fulltime, assuming I finished in the three years.

If you do start and try to obtain funding later, bear in mind you might only obtain funding for the second and third years.

People should always look for a PhD with a bursary and funding already in place. Please see attached on funding councils to help you - it's part of my blog on PhDs.

http://www.wearthesis.talktalk.net

Look up "What is a PhD?" then head for question 7) on funding.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

F

Hi Ian. Thanks for your response. I think you're right so i'll go part time while working and maybe go full time if I manage to secure funding.