Funding in non traditional sciences

G

Hi all. I've just finsihed an MSc in a computing based discpline [with distiction for what its worth]. I am looking to embarking on a Phd in the areas of education and IT/computing, and/or information systems. Having had some preliminary discussions with some university research admission tutors it would appear funding in these areas is very thin on the ground [I am informed effectively impossible even with top qualifications].

There appears on here [and appearences can be deceptive I know] that there is a fair bit of money floating around for traditional science lab based research BUT very little in my area of academia.

Would any present or past research students care to comment re this. Is there any money to be had in Computing/IT and education research or am I effectively banging my head repeatedly against a brick wall?

J

it would be helpful if you could give more details about what you want to do. education and information systems is a bit vague.

G

Yes I agree. But I didn't want to waffle on being a short and concise kinda guy.

Notwithstanding that, I was looking around two general ideas. Initially, at 'the application of open-source ERP systems in micro business in NW England' [a very unresearched area]. I was informed while that was interesting and useful, it would be more commercial to consider 'the development of virtual learning environments in Further education' [or variations on that theme].

All that said and done there appears to be little funding around for the latter, with most admissions tutors actively pushing the self-funding route from the off.

S

would funding yourself (perhaps as a part-time PhD student) not be an option?

unfortunately, it is a fact of life that there is more funding in some areas than in others. your proposed projects some interesting, and I know nothing about that area.

Perhaps you could approach a few research councils and see what they say, then once you have got an idea from them, you can talk to prospective supervisors. But because of the funding situation, it would appear that you have a lot of work to do.

Good luck

G

Thanks Stu. The research concept(s) have some merit and [I think] would have some commercial viability for future employment.

As you suggest I am being actively advised towards the PT route by the Admissions Tutors which is fair enough. After just doing 2 years of MSc it would be nice to have someone else 'pick up the bill' or at least a bit of it, was my thinking.

I will look into the funding council aspect.

S

Good luck.

I hope you figure something out as your research area sounds very interesting