Fundings for researches

R

Hi everyone,

my application to Oxford University has gone through first step and now I am waiting for information from college. Could anyone tell me how does research funding in Oxford look like? Apart from scholarships for living expanses, college and university fees, how my researches are supposed to be funded? My supervisor had thought that university gives money for D.Phil researches (so did I think). Can anyone explain me how does it work at Oxford University?
Thank you in advance,
R.L.

M

I'm afraid your supervisor is very wrong. I'm not at Oxford, but I know you do not automatically secure funding by embarking on a DPhil. You need to check Oxford's website for funding guidance.

S

Do you mean money for your actual research itself (rather than living and fees)? You must be very clear with your supervisor about this and have some rough idea of how much these costs will be. He should be able to tell you whether there is dept/grant money available for your actual reserach costs or whether you will have to apply for a grant to cover those costs - and you need some kind of Plan B if you can't get money for the costs.

Be careful - I thought there would be money for my reserach costs and it turned out there was none and I had to find a small part of the required amount myself and manage as best I could.