getting phd funding

M

Hey there folks - I have just been accepted onto two msc courses with the plan to apply for a phd after completion. However, one of the courses is an esrc accredited course, whilst the other(my first choice)is not. Would this make a difference in getting funding later...close doors unnecessarily etc? I hear the esrc are pretty rigid with their funding regulations.(psychology/neuropsychology is the area) Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

P

Hi
I am in neuropsychology and when I was doing my MSc I was told that if I didn't do an ESRC accredited course, I could forget funding for a PhD. BUT.......if I did go for an accredited course, I would have to tailor my PhD for their requirements and the competition for funding is fierce. I have decided to do my own thing and enjoy it. I did the subjects I wanted to do (Brains & Behaviour, cognitive neuropsychology, research methods and social psychology (compulsory) ) without the pressure of ESRC requirements. I have now secured a place for my PhD in my chosen area and I am now finding my own funding with no restrictions. Granted, I have found a fantastic supervisor who is finding funding for me for my first year but is as passionate about my subject as I am.
Just my story....( I have been having a good day)

M

pink neuron - thanks for the comment, thats sounds interesting. who gave you the funding...and what kind of masters did you do to give you the crack at the funding? It sounds like we may be taking similar paths.

P

Hi
I did an OU MSc Psychology instead of the MSc Res Method Psychology one. I am very fortunate that my supervisor is applying for the funding in his name and if we are successful, he is giving it to me because we are working together on my research. If it doesn't happen, then it is evening jobs, writing jobs, loans and more applications. The first year is the hardest and then once the pilot study is up and running, it is more attractive for funding for the 2nd and 3rd years, apparantly. I have no regrets, I have done the course that I wanted to do and now I face the funding but I am pig-headed and stubborn and don't give up!