How to finding funding at both Masters and PhD level in IS

S

Please tell from where and how do I obtain funding for Masters and Doctorate Level in Information Systems?

G

Uk/EU?

S

UK or EU doesnt matter.

S

so does anyone know where to get funding for Masters or PhD in Information Systems in the UK or EU?

S

Yes

B

Am I the only one that has read enough of these "Help- find me funding- Right now!" posts? Not just this guy, but the raft of questions you get all over this board. Presumably if you want to study at doctoral level you it does not bode well if:

a) You cannot use google to find the most elementary information
b) You Write without correct use of punctuation/ spelling/ grammar.
c) you ask such a vague, random question such as "where do I find funding?" or "HOW I GET PHD IN MOLCULAR BILOGY FROM TOP UNIVORSOTY?!!?"

Do the posters lack the degree of self awareness to realise that this doesn't scream "doctoral calibre".

G

Funding for MSc level in IS for International students is non-existent (in the UK). Full-stop. At PhD level, very (VERY) thin on the ground for home students. Much more so for Intl students. I would suggest you look to funding in your own country. Its your best hope.

B

hi,
this is vishnu,doing my fianl Semester in PG biotechnology..

Can any one tell how can or should get an funded Ph.D in abroad....?

please reply me on [email protected]

bye !!!

K

Try using Google....It helps a lot. Try visiting various Universities web pages. They normally have infos about funding for different countries. Easy as pie!. Im a South African national studying in Cambridge and surely if I know about all the above infos, other countries' citizens should. Come now people, dont be too lazy to think!

C

I find it rather hypocritical that the same people who say they have no idea what the point of their PhD is (e.g. they can't find an academic job with it etc; have no imagination about how the PhD might be used in industry/voluntary/private sectors) find it so easy to criticise those who are trying to navigate the opaque postgraduate funding system. Those people who complain about these prospective postgraduates clearly didn't do adequate research of their own, since they were not aware of the fierce competition to get an academic job even with a PhD.

B

"I find it rather hypocritical that the same people who say they have no idea what the point of their PhD is find it so easy to criticise those who are trying to navigate the opaque postgraduate funding system."

These are two totally unrelated and separate issues. Asking random, vague questions without making the most cursory effort to find easily available information cannot seriously be equated with the difficulties of the PhD job market.

You don't find it hypocritical at all. You are just looking for a fight with me.

B

And to be fair, I have provided information for queries the basic research has been done (e.g. the difference between and MSc and MRes). Its just the random, badly communicated ones I take issue with.

So what exactly is your problem with the above? The details about most programs can easily be aquired online. However, NO ONE can tell you the prospects of a PhD before you undertake one due to a myriad of factors.

C

No Badhaircut our postgraduate system is very difficult to navigate particularly for foreign students. Alternatively it is pretty obvious that there are not many academic jobs for the number of people doing PhDs. There is a strong common theme running through these two issues: do your background research before you starting a PhD.

C

My answer Badhaircut is not to answer questions if you don't like them, instead of criticising people's English skills where English is not their first language. Universities will be able to quite adequately assess their English skills before admission using IELTS and other tools.

B

Granted, the system may be difficult for foreigners to navigate but the basic information is there. Thats why I answer specific questions where there is evidence the available stuff has been already sought.

"Do your background research before you starting a PhD"

This totally oversimplifies the issue. Whereas there are fields where people are actively told there is not enough work, I was told there would be work (from several sources), was given funding. How could I predict my supervisor would turn out to be a political schemer that dragged me down? You tell me?

Btw, see my other post about universities taking on students without adequate backgrounds.