Information request ..urgent help

N

I have a formal letter to study a PhD in electronic engineering.The PhD subject is based on a fully funded studentship offered by the department and a research center. The problem came to me when the offer don't mention any thing about the studentship.They only assigned me the PhD subject including the tuition fees. Because, I'm unfimiliar with the studentships .I'm wondering whether they have allocated the studentship to me or not .Could any body please help me with any suggestions ?

S

Hello, I'm not going to be able to tell you the answer, but as you need to be sure about it, I think the only thing you can do is ask them directly. The studentship could be implied by your being assigned to the subject, and maybe they are covering the tuition fees, but as they don't say that anywhere (based on what you've said), I think that you need to go back to the department/research centre and ask if the assignment means that you have been awarded the studentship.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your situation - please post back if I have and I will try to help :)

T

Hallo! If it was advertised as a fully funded studentship (fees plus stipend) then they should notify you if that has changed... if it said it was a competition funded phd then there may have been a number of other projects vying for the same funding grant! I suggest you double check with them, that's the only way you'll know for sure!

H

If the offer letter has come from the university's general admin then it's probably fine. Offer/fees letters can be very standard and don't always take into account the funding status of the student - it's then up to the student to make sure the fees are paid, either by notifying finance that it's covered by a studentship, or paying themselves.

Contact your prospective supervisor or his/her local admin support and ask for clarification. Try to get in writing the funding offer that was made as you may need to pass this on to finance.