Is it worth looking for PhD funding with a 2:2 and masters?

D

On my way to a distinction now, (its been 6months since last post) and Im considering further study next year, maybe phd maybe another masters. I think Ill be limited to applying for courses in Liverpool though which is a bit shit cos im sick of the place but it would cost me too much to move elsewhere, i think.
Ive got a bad credit rating and the bank wont lend me anymore money.
Any tips for looking for funds?
Thanks

H

I'm very glad you are doing so well but please do not bring back threads which we would rather forget about.

Thanks

D

H. Dont read it if it bothers you

P

I have a 2.2, 2 MScs (65, 68 average) and am on my 1st year of a PhD. Im funded by the ESRC (A CASE studentship) and receive 14.5k per year. So, yes its definitely possible to get funding if you have a 2.2.

P

Funds:

I have a serious overdraft (limit 3k) and I havent had any problems in getting funding from banks etc!

I got a career development loan and I relied on my savings for my second MSc if thats any help? My first MSc was a part time evening course so I basically funded it by working during the day. As I was made reduntant in the middle of my MSc, I got a student loan to help me pay for the fees.

Both of my loans were from Barclays.

D

Thanks Pineapple.
Did you get a lot of advice from your tutors about your phd proposal? Did you get nominated for funding? Im interested in a Phd but not sure I want to do it at my current uni, but I think the competition would be stiffer if I try to get funding for the uni i want. Does it work like this? I mean- is the application judged purely on the proposal regardless of the uni?
Cheers for any advice
Sorry to anyone who's bored with this thread

H

Danny, I wasn't talking about this thread.

P

Hi Danny, My phd is a funded advertised project so I didn't have to go through attracting supervisors and funding bodies. After my interview, they nominated me for an ESRC studentship (I get nearly 15k tax free per year). If you have a very good proposal and one which a supervisor at a university is very keen to take on, your more likely to receive an offer from any university, although this is most likely to be complicated by the popularity of the university and funding available. Also, if your supervisor is particuarly keen in your proposal, then they are more likely to help you with the funding process. Having said that, certain unis such as my previous one at UCL who offer funded phd positions do have stiffer competition for PhD candidates and are therefore very picky about applicants. However, a friend of mine bypassed the competition for funding by self funding herself, and as a result, managed to secure a PhD offer from UCL almost immediately-so I think it depends!