Know of any places to find funding prior to September 2009?

D

Hi all, I have been accepted to the PhD programme in political science at University College London, but unfortunately I will not receive any funding through the schoool, ESRC or AHRC, at least for my first year. Possibly because I spelled schoool with three 'O's? I feel like a bit of a novice at tracking down funding, and I would appreciate any tips at all in studentship applications outside of the usual suspects - ESRC, etc. Thanks in advance!

S

Hi! you may ask your supervisor(s) if there are any opportunities to get extra funding from your Department-sometimes there are few studentships that are open to competitive bids and they come up at very short notice (and late in the year) because the University distribute extra money to support research; last but not least University often wants applications to have named students, and this would be your case. This could be a way, I dont' know how things work in UCL but ask a question is for free!
All the best with your PhD!!

S

======= Date Modified 07 Jul 2009 12:22:45 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
I was in a very similar position (prospective Politics PhD, no funding) to you in April with Sheffield Uni. They had offered me a place but told me that funding was not available from the University and that I wasn't eligible for ESRC funding as I had done a MA, not an MRes. They also said that there are very few/no other avenues available for funding Politics PhDs. What I did was to give up on Sheffield and apply to loads of other places offering funding. So far I've been offered a few more PhD places but no funding (waiting on a letter from Leeds this week, fingers crossed.)

So, what I'd suggest is that you contact UCL admin about other possible sources of funding (they'll be the people who know) and, if there are no other options apply to any schools still advertising studentships for next year....or don't do a PhD until you can secure funding.

If you do find a way other than this...don't tell me. It will only increase the number of desperate Politics students competing with you :)