Oxford college fees?

S

Hi,

I'm currently in the midst of applying to several PhD projects one of which is at Oxford. However, i know that fees at oxford comprise of both university and college fees. I know that at other universities the UK research council's funding will cover any university fees and is paid "behind the scene". But am I as a student accountable for the college fees? i.e. do i pay them out of my living expense budget reducing it by by £2-3K? Or is the funding for an Oxbridge PhD typically higher to accommodate for this like it would be in central London? I believe the project will be funded by BBSRC or NERC.

I really appreciate any help and advice you can give me on this. Cheers:-)

B

Try googling for the research councils in turn plus "college fees". Looks like they will cover it. My funding council, AHRC, certainly does. After my supervisor moved I considered transferring my PhD to Oxford, long-distance, and that was one of the essential things I checked.

S

I don't know of any instances where college fees are not covered along with the university fees so you should be fine.

R

usually if you get funding for a PHD at Oxford your college and university fees are paid for. Ive never heard of anyone getting a studentship but having to pay college fees themselves.

The whole college fees thing is a bit nonsense. you have to pay for everything in college: rent and utilities, food, laundry..... and there are these college fees as well!!!! stupid

C

I used to work in a Student Finance office, which I know is undergrad mostly :p but I am sure in this case its a similar situation. I assume that University fees are for general tuition fees and College fees are specific to your department which may vary, depending on what you are studying. For example, I applied to Leicester and the particular department had additional fees of £5K a year. I would think its safe to assume that if you win a funded place after interview, both of these fees will be taken care of unless stipulated in the invitation offer. Might be worth clarifying with the institute beforehand, though!

T

The College fee will be covered no worries, of course that doesn't cover charges that Colleges will give you e.g. accomodation, kitchen fixed charge etc. Then you'll just get paid a standard outside of London rate, unless you have a CASE studentship etc.