PhD Competition funding?

B

Hi all,

A question regarding funding…. I have seen a funded PhD on this site that I am interested in, but see that it has the ‘competition funded’ symbol attached to it. I’m not really familiar with this, so was wondering what this usually means. Does this usually mean that one successful candidate will gaining funding? When it says ‘funding’, does this mean that just fees will be paid, or a small wage also?

Thanks

Bird!

C

Hi Bird,

Competition funding usually means that the project is going up again other projects from the same institution for funding, all the projects advertised interview candidates and then the institution and the people giving the funding decide which projects/students are the best and give funding to those. It can be that they are advertising 10 and funding only one or two, or it can be that they are advertising 10 and funding 9 so it can be quite confusing! I just got accepted for a PhD with funding that was competition funding where they funded 7 out of 9, but applied/interviewed for the same one last year and it didn't get funded when they were funding 6 out of 12...

When it says funded it usually means that the university fees are paid and you get a stipend (wage) too. But check with the University to make sure.

Caro