PhD Funding

T

Hi, would like to firstly thank anyone who will take the time to read this and offer some valuable advice. I am looking at finding a PhD in UK and almost finalized my choice of university and topic but am still looking for funding, as bearing the entire cost of the studies myself is posing a real problem in moving forward. I know there are a lot of scholarships available out there but the majority of those are either university specific or time-specific i.e. for September or October intakes I am planning on commencing my PhD as a June intake student and therefore wondering if there is anything I can apply for and get be that time. Am in a real fix as the finances are the only thing stopping me from pursuing this any further.

Would appreciate any advice that is offered.

Thanks and regards,
Tracy

T

Thank u very much for your response. My bad that I forgot to add a very significant detail to my initial email. I am an international student. Therefore I think owing to this reason, I don't qualify for a student loan.

V

I suggest that you check this website. They offer scholarships but I am not quite sure of the details. http://postgraduate.my/

S

Email your potential supervisors - they are best placed to advise. Personally, I would not do a PhD unless it was funded...

T

Quote From sam29:
Email your potential supervisors - they are best placed to advise. Personally, I would not do a PhD unless it was funded...

I'm all for funded with 0% contract.

H

sam29 raises a good point. Committing to a PhD without funding is a tremendous gamble, especially given the dreadful state of the academic job market. If you cannot secure some kind of funding, you may wish to consider doing it part time, while working, though I acknowledge there may be visa constraints on what kind of part time work you could undertake.