PhD in Spain

G

Hey everyone... Im new to this forum... Saw some interesting threads so thought I should ask y'all a couple of questions myself :-)

Thing is... I recently accepted a PhD position in the South of Madrid, Spain... And they are offering me the following package:

-- Net EUR 1200 per month (AFTER taxes)
-- Comprehensive healthcare coverage
-- Full relocation support

I've never really been to Spain... So just wanted to ask if EUR 1200 is enough for a couple (husband and wife... no kids)... to survive in the south of Madrid ? Is there some room for savings... I dont know much about life in Spain to be honest

P.S. "Survive" means a modest standard of living... A normal one bed flat... cooking at home (veggie)... No car... No clubbing / bars etc... Just as simple as simple can be :-)

Thanks... Cheers all !!

S

hi Gilani congratulations on your appointment!!!
Is that EUR1200 tax free?

Food is not expensive in Spain, transportation is good too; not too bad.
Assuming you will rent a flat (depending on location, some are not cheap) and you will still need to give a monthly allowance to your wife, there will not be much left for savings, but I think you can get by.

Their internet service providers also give good rates for students; especially when they are affiliated with your university.
love satchi

G

Cheers for the reply Satchi !!!

Well it says in the letter that the salary is EUR 21,132 per year..... That translates to around EUR 15,200 per year after taxes... Hence EUR 1268 per month

The place is called Leganes in South Madrid... I checked the rents and I think we can get a decent flat for around EUR 600... Add some bills to it.... Goes to 700 i guess...

Then food for two people.... i'd guess around EUR 300... plus misc. costs

So i guess 1200 is EXACTLY what we'd need there... So we might as well forget about saving

C

Hey Gilani, congrats on your position! Sounds awesome to be doing a PhD somewhere sunny 8-)

I'm not sure about Spain, but PhD students don't usually get taxed....I don't want to get your hopes high and then realise I'm wrong, but did it specify that you'll be paying tax?

CB

G

Thanks cheekybint !!!

Well heres how it'll work. I will work as an employee "Junior Researcher" at a large telecom research lab in Madrid. And as a result of my research there, I will be awarded a PhD in 3-4 years. So I wont be based at the university itself. Will have my own little cubicle at the research lab as an "employee".

So the deal is pretty sweet I guess.. No teaching requirements or anything of that sort, and would look good on my CV too hopefully. Just a bit concerned about the expenses bit. Hope we'll pull through :p

A

Hello Brother,
I see that this is a 4 year old thread, assuming you accepted the offer, can you please tell us about your experience as a phd research student in madrid. any advices, or recommendations or suggestions.
thank you in advance