Potential PhD supervisor: How to approach and impress? Mature students, (Please Help if you can!!!!)

R

======= Date Modified 09 Nov 2012 01:41:52 =======
======= Date Modified 09 Nov 2012 01:40:32 =======
======= Date Modified 09 Nov 2012 01:39:13 =======
I desperately need some help and would really appreciate any advice that anyone has time to offer.
I have recently completed a Psychology degree as a 'mature'student (34/1 son) at a red brick Uni (I’m a mature student…that still impress’s me!) with a good first and am at the beginning of the process of applyingfor PhD studentships.
After applying for a few studentships in my final year and not even making it to the interview stage I am terribly nervous about making mistakes in the process this year. Because I spent my 20's in the hotelindustry I have no qualms whatsoever about wanting to do a PhD (worryingly,I suspect that I fall easily into the category of "Too desperate/eager"). However, due to having a child and living a couple of hours away from campus, my voluntary research experience /CV boosting stuff is sorely lacking from my Uni years. On the +ve side, my final year research project has been nominated for a national award, I'm currently doing voluntary UGDresearch methods teaching at a local Uni, and am about to undertake a pilotresearch project for my UGRD supervisor (Who works with the lead researcher for the PhD I am needing application advice for). My immediate problem (apart from not being able to shake the feeling that I'm trying to get into a club I don't belong to!) is that it in the application advice it is recommended that I contact the lead researcher for the PhD I want to apply for in order to 'discuss' my suitability but I have spent 2 days going back and forward (and every permutation in-between ...) between..
1. "Dear Dr XXXXX My name is…and I am contacting you regarding your advertised PhD… I am very interested because…
2. Dear Dr XXXXX, I have recently graduated from XXX with a first class…and I am very eager to submit af ormal application for your project because…
3. Dear Dr XXXXXX, I am the absolutely best person that has ever walked Bipedal for your research project, I’ll make tea, coffee, cocktails and my son a latch-key-kid if you would just give me the opportunity….
In all seriousness though, this PhD opportunity is amazing and I would hate to jeopardise my chances by sending a poorly worded firstcontact email therefore I would be most grateful if anyone has any constructiveadvice about how to go about approaching this potential supervisor…

P

Hey Rew,

I am also a mature student now doing my dream Phd. When I first contacted my supervisor I sent a very brief email with some information on my interests but asked in that email if it was ok for me to telephone them at x time on x day. He did reply saying that was ok, so I called him. I think once you can speak to the person they get a much better idea of what you're like and it differentiates you from all the other emails they get every day. I hope that helps!

Good luck!