Residence eligibility requirements

H

I've been here now for a few years and I'm classified as a "home student" which allows me to apply for funding with stipend and university fees (MRC , BBSRC). I was thinking of doing an internship abroad for 4-6 months, to get more experience. Would I lose the "home student" status if I spend that amount of time abroad.

I've gone to their website and it states that only the university’s registrar office can contact them in regard to any questions on eligibility requirements.

R

======= Date Modified 13 Apr 2012 10:09:43 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
Hi Hogwash, are you studying currently? Perhaps your current / previous University would make an enquiry for you if you asked nicely?

W

Would you get the internship as a "person coming from the UK"? (Presuming you are currently a UK home student.)
Do you have family in this country? I believe that strengthens your case to be considered as resident here.

Are the 'places abroad' linked to where you have lived in the past? That could affect things if an internship is at a place previously called home.

Found this site: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/tuition_fees_ewni.php
Who may be able to help in your unique situation.

H

======= Date Modified 14 Apr 2012 18:19:40 =======
======= Date Modified 14 Apr 2012 18:18:51 =======

Quote From Waddett:

Would you get the internship as a "person coming from the UK"? (Presuming you are currently a UK home student.)
Do you have family in this country? I believe that strengthens your case to be considered as resident here.

Are the 'places abroad' linked to where you have lived in the past? That could affect things if an internship is at a place previously called home.

Found this site: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_sheets/tuition_fees_ewni.php
Who may be able to help in your unique situation.

Thank you Waddett

I've been here (UK) now for 9 years now, all my family are here. So I'm an ordinarily resident, not just for main purpose of full time education, and so any temporary absences should be ignored.

Certain PhD studentship (specifically, the maintenance stipend) come with a stipulation that prior to application, the student should be a resident of this country for at least 3 years. I thought that, if I left for 4-6 months, that I had to wait another 3 years in order to qualify for these studentships.