Self funding - big disadvantage late on?

J

When it comes to applying for academic jobs would the fact they someone self funded their PhD be a disadvantage?

Aso to be self funded would a university say accept as proof of ability to complete the PhD a £80,000 flat with no mortgage? Do they require something else?

G

Proof of income, saving etc. I would imagine.

J

actually, i have never been asked to prove anything. am an international student and as long as you have a visa, the uni just expects you to pay your fees. if you're already in the UK, you only have to pay your fees, not prove anything. the trouble is if you're still out there..... as golfpro has said, you'll have to prove that you can sustain yourself here. that means, take a loan on your house and have the money in your account, or ask the bank to write a letter saying that you are able to support your studies, with proof of funding in the form of bank statements. you don't have to show the entire amount, just that you have an regular income that covers at least a year of the fees. all the best!

J

Okay I'll admit I'm not the biggest expert on these things but from what I have picked up on over the last couple of years being funded, particularly in those areas where funding is relatively hard to come by (like in Archaeology), being funded can look fairly good on your CV.

That said, I doubt it is a major concern to future employers, after all, often obtaining funding is just about having a project that is a priority for a research body and not a reflection upon your abilities or the validity of the project.

*remembers the level 3 'good project but no cigar' of the AHRC*

A

Another question: has anyone on here self-funded their PhD (ie. with a career development loan) and if yes, how's it been?

A

And having self-funded may not be as impressive as having been given thousands of pounds of funding, but think of the personal tenacity and dedication to your subject that self-funding shows.

G

I think there has been some discussion re this in the past. It might pay to search back through the forum for suchlike.