Tax free stipend & also working

P

Hi,

I am considering doing a PhD after being in paid employment for several years.
The PhD is full time and has a tax free stipend of £13290 + fees. My question is, if I undertake some additional paid work to supplement my income, is the full stipend still free of tax and national insurance? I'm confused about how this works because normally you are allowed to earn £6475 personal allowance free of tax in this tax year.

I'd appreciate feedback from anyone else in the same position.

Cheers

M

It's not 'taxable income', so isn't included in any tax calculation. :-)

P

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just wondered if there were any conditions attached to receiving the stipend tax free like
not being in receipt of any other earnings.
I will also have additional earnings from previous paid employment in the same tax year which may complicate things.
For example, I'm assuming that you don't get £13290 tax free and also qualify for the £6475 personal allowance
for any additional paid earnings in the tax year.

Can anybody clarify this point? Thanks.

D

The tax office should be able to advise but there is a certain amount that you are allowed to earn above the stipend. I think it's about 5k - 6K but can't be sure and so you'd be best double checking.

B

Quote From powers:

For example, I'm assuming that you don't get £13290 tax free and also qualify for the £6475 personal allowance

I think you do. The stipend doesn't count towards taxable income in any shape or form.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM06265.htm

But the simplest solution is probably to ask the tax office directly. They should be the best people to advise.

P

My husband was in your position.
The stipend is tax free irrespective of earnings for that tax year.
You may also find you've been over taxed, due to the assumption you'll be earning the same all year, and therefore will get cash back.
Remember if you're thinking about carrying on working once you're in receipt of your stipend, you will often be limited to the hours you're allowed to work.

M

Quote From powers:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I just wondered if there were any conditions attached to receiving the stipend tax free like
not being in receipt of any other earnings.

I can't foresee any implications, unless your stipend is provided by an employer/industry and attached to some sort of employment.

I will also have additional earnings from previous paid employment in the same tax year which may complicate things.

Can anybody clarify this point? Thanks.

Yes, you do get £13290 and the £6475 personal income tax allowance, because the former is exempt from tax.

Q

Make sure that you read the terms of your funding carefully, mine states that I cannot undertake any paid work without special permission from the CAST award people.