The funding problem

L

Hi,

How long have those of you who have been successful in full funding applications (UK/Home students) for PhD's in Humanities had to wait until actually securing that funding?

Any advice and/or success stories very welcome!!

Thanks,
Lizzie

L

ie... did you have to make applications in successive years or did the majority of successful applicants secure funding first time around?

H

Hello,

I'm not quite sure what you mean? Do you mean that funding applications were successful but you didn't take the funding at the time, or that the PhD application was successful but funding was not allocated? I'm going to assume the latter (if I've got it wrong then I apologise).

Humanities funding is almost non-existent at the moment, as I'm sure you know if you're looking for funding! I suppose I have both a positive and negative story for you.
Funding very much depends on so many variables: where you are applying (where is their funding is coming from? Is it departmental, or is it AHRC/ESRC etc?), who would supervise you (do they have too many PhD students? Is it somebody else's 'turn' in the department?) and many, many other factors. It's not always a simple case of another applicant being 'better', or having a better project.

so, in answer to your question: I eventually got funding but it wasn't the first time round. Don't lose faith!

Edited to remove potential identifiers!

L

Thanks so much for your reply, HistoryHat.

Yes, you understood correctly. I don't want to identify myself so was careful in my description but without betraying too much, I was doing a Humanities Masters last year, applied for PhD places and funding in the Winter. Got offered places but not funding (departmental scholarships). I was short listed for a full scholarship and interviewed but unsuccessful. I deferred my places and applied for funding with, what I thought was a stronger research proposal this year and didn't even get shortlisted for the award I was interviewed for last year - I didn't necessarily expect to b shortlisted but I was really upset when I got the rejection email. I'm just so disheartened.
Thanks for your encouragement! And congratulations on your success with funding :)
L x

H

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience - it is really, really disheartening. I remember the feeling well!

One thing that might be worth keeping an eye on is studentship projects. I know in the humanities these types of studentships used to often be seen as a bit of a 'cop out' but that's absolutely not the case anymore. In fact, it's quite the opposite and shows versatility and so on. Keep checking jobs.ac.uk and perhaps keep an eye on the Twitter. You might spot a project which you are a really good fit for, even if it's not exactly what you want to do.

It's just so tough for funding in the humanities at the moment. Funding is so scarce.

It's quite heartbreaking to get those rejection emails, but don't give up hope!

Good luck, and if I can help in any way then give me a shout.

x

L

Thanks HistoryHat! I was surprised at quite how upset I was (still am)at that first rejection. I know I want this very badly as is it my gateway into my chosen career (as I presume it is for many of us) and the rejection is oddly very personal.

Thanks so much for your kind advice, I have started looking for projects, and they are few and far between but I will certainly go for one if I fit the applicant criteria!!

I just feel like I've done all I can ie gained a Dist in my Masters, good references, (I think) a strong research proposal and unconditional offers of PhD places..but I take your point about factors at play beyond my control. I might send you a direct message (if you don't mind), as I'm worried about saying too much on the public forum!

Lx

H

Hello,

Yep, PM away - that's no problem at all.

X