To apply with Bachelor or MSc grades?

S

Hello,

I received my Bachelor's degree over 10 years ago from a top Cdn uni with a decent GPA (first class in UK). Two years later I completed my MSc in a slightly different topic at a top British uni. Didn't do so well there, only 2:2, mostly based on final exams. It was a bizarre grading system there, where one prof had to grade on a bell curve b/c more than half the class failed final exams in one of my courses. After many years work experience I'm looking to apply for PhD and am considering funding, which I likely won't get if I apply with my MSc grades on the list. Should I just apply with my Bachelor degree and ask those writing recommendations not to reference my grad school experience? Could I get in trouble for not disclosing my MSc experience? What would you do? I should be able to get enough references through work and former undergrad profs.

Any and all advice is most helpful. Many thanks

M

I'd just be honest and put down your MSc grades. You have a good track record and they shouldn't your application. If you don't mention them and get an interview, your interviewer might be suspicious and lying might cost you a place.

S

Thanks for your reply, Mothy. I do prefer to be honest and upfront, but am nervous about this impacting any grant application because they are so competitive these days.

======= Date Modified 19 Nov 2010 12:04:01 =======
I would say that with such a gap between the Masters and your application, the grades aren't going to be a deciding factor. If the stuff you've been doing in the meantime can be shown to feed into the studies you now want to undertake, I'd say that will be just as valuable. And the Masters shows that you can study at postgrad level, so I think you'd just be causing problems for yourself if you didn't mention it. Good luck!

S

Thanks for the encouragement, Batfink27. Another grad student suggested that I should mention/qualify why my MSc marks were low (e.g. in a summary statement attached to my application, explaining the bell curve incident). I'm not sure if that will seem lame, like I'm trying to make excuses (even though they're true).

What do other people think - good or bad idea to call it out?

B

After 8-10 years your marks probably would count little. You should mention your MSc. It's a proof that you can do postgraduate study. I wouldn't mention why the grades were low though. It will just give more attention to the low grades. You can tell if they ask. Focus on the positives and on your skills in the application.
Good luck.

S

I really appreciate the encouragement, Blue, and from everyone else. The vote is unanimous!

Best of luck to you all.