Can the title Dr. be transferred to a spouse?

21-Mar-16, 15:56
edited about 13 seconds later
Avatar for RocketSurf
posted about 4 years ago
Does anyone know the correct etiquette when it comes to use of the term Doctor and marriage.?

My father was a well respected scientist with a PhD, he remarried and died a few years ago. His second wife also an academic but only to Masters level not doctorate, now incorporates his title and his middle name into her name. So for example If my father's name was Dr. Ian Lloyd Smith she now calls herself Dr. Joan Lloyd Smith. It irks me to see but I wonder if this is acceptable use?
21-Mar-16, 16:24
edited about 18 seconds later
Avatar for TreeofLife
posted about 4 years ago
As I know, that is not correct. She is still Mrs Joan Smith. In formal letters addressed to both it would be Dr and Mrs Smith. Or Dr and Mrs Ian Lloyd Smith.
21-Mar-16, 17:37
edited about 8 seconds later
Avatar for Tudor_Queen
posted about 4 years ago
21-Mar-16, 19:01
by BevCha
Avatar for BevCha
posted about 4 years ago
I'm slightly shocked and it doesn't seem correct at all! No wonder you are somewhat irked
22-Mar-16, 16:39
edited about 4 seconds later
by satchi
Avatar for satchi
posted about 4 years ago
Mrs Joan Lloyd Smith or maybe she earned a PhD and didn't tell anybody..
23-Mar-16, 13:07
by RinaL
Avatar for RinaL
posted about 4 years ago
Here in Austria it was an accepted pratice years ago .... My mum was "Mrs Dipl.Ing" (MSc.) and had never a qualification for university at all ;-)

But nowadays? Nope, not correct at all ;-)
23-Mar-16, 14:05
edited about 47 seconds later
Avatar for PracticalMouse
posted about 4 years ago
How old is this Lady? That would probably make a big difference - it may be a generational thing, I think it was more common when the wife was expected to give up her career (if she even had one) and stay home once she got married. The social status acquired through getting married to an academic was conveyed by using the title in her name - although I would say she would have to call herself Mrs Dr. Ian Lloyd Smith in your example rather than just incorrectly taking the title...
23-Mar-16, 16:28
Avatar for Tudor_Queen
posted about 4 years ago
Hm, I have some old family friends who are quite traditional, and when the wife writes a letter (yes, they still write letters), she writes on the envelope Mrs C R Jones. (C and R are both her husband's initials...). I find it bizzare. Perhaps if he had an academic title she would naturally use that too, since she is adopting the rest of his name.


Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved

Postgraduate Forum

Masters Degrees

PhD Opportunities

PostgraduateForum is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766