Choosing a UK PhD programme in Neuroscience (When neither of them is fully-funded )

posted
06-Apr-17, 09:06
by CHIYU
Avatar for CHIYU
posted about 2 years ago
Dear all
I have received offers from three different PhD programmes in neurobiology but neither of them is fully-funded (I am an oversea applicant). "A" university has the lab that I want to work in the most (because of the laboratory environment and the research topic), but the programme (A programme) neither provides me with financial support and nor allows me to defer the offer based on financial reasons. The other two programmes are from "B" university. One of them (B programme) provides me with scholarship that only covers tuition fees and the student may choose to exit the programme with a MPhil after one year (instead of upgrading). The last programme (C programme) has no funds but allows me to defer the offer based on financial reasons.

I want to get at least a MPhil degree first because I only have a Bachelor degree from somewhere else. In my opinion, having a MPhil degree may gain my chances to secure a scholarship in the subsequent years (even though it seems that I need to afford my own living expense this year).
My intention is to take the offer (B programme) that has the scholarship to cover the first-year tuition fees, defer the offer of C programme and turn down the offer of A programme. Then I will reapply for A programme and scholarships for the next term to see if I can be fully-funded from the next year while receiving the first-year training in B programme. There are four outcomes I would expect.
1. If my project and funding situation goes well in B programme, then I will stay in B and get the DPhil.
2. If my project in B and funding situation in C programme goes well (My potential supervisor in this university can take students from both programme), then I leave B with a MPhil and join C.

3. If my application for A goes well, then  I leave B with a MPhil and join A.

4. If none of the above goes well, I leave B with a MPhil and go somewhere else


Is there anyone can give me an opinion on my thought, share me with your experiences or something I need to be careful of?
(For example, I am afraid if my supervisor from "B" university would not let me go to "A" university with the MPhil or something like If going "A" is my priority then I should not go to B for the MPhil. Instead, I should just find any kind of position in "A")

I need to make this decision within two weeks so any idea is fully appreciated


Best Regards

CY
posted
06-Apr-17, 12:44
edited about 24 seconds later
Avatar for TreeofLife
posted about 2 years ago
Option B and then see what happens with funding after a year and leave with the MPhil if you have to.

B can't stop you going to A with your MPhil. People understand that students follow funding.

Postgraduate
Forum

Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved

Postgraduate Forum

Masters Degrees

PhD Opportunities

PostgraduateForum is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766