Downgrading from PhD to masters

29-May-18, 11:23
edited about 13 seconds later
by munchen
Avatar for munchen
posted about 2 years ago
hello people,

hope to get some advise on this matter.

I am well into the 23rd month of my PhD program, and i had recently passed my qualifying examination at the 20th month. However, I have lost interest in my PhD (Depressed) and am intending to tell my prof soon about quitting.

Is there a possibility of getting a masters? Should this be a possible option, am i required to 'extend' my stay in the lab to maybe officially write a master thesis or is the qualifying examination report (mini thesis- with literature works, abstract, results discussion) and oral presentation i gave is sufficient?

If downgrading to a masters degree is possible, what would that depend on?
31-May-18, 11:45
Avatar for TreeofLife
posted about 2 years ago
If you're depressed, are you able to make the decision about quitting?

I'm assuming you're not in the UK. In the UK you could downgrade to a MSc providing you had enough data and then write up your work in a thesis.

You should check on your department website or handbook.
02-Jun-18, 04:08
edited about 10 seconds later
by tru
Avatar for tru
posted about 2 years ago
Hi, munchen,

Can you take maybe up to a month off if you are depressed and then make a decision?

If you want to leave with a master, you will have to present a body of work that is suitable for a masters degree. That criteria is based on your university, so you will have to check with your Grad School, post grad coordinator and supervisor for this.

Are you depressed because of lack of support from your supervisor? Is it something that could be sorted out before you decide to quit?


Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved

Postgraduate Forum

Masters Degrees

PhD Opportunities

PostgraduateForum is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766