PhD fieldwork in a security red zone

07-May-19, 11:11
edited about 15 seconds later
Avatar for Kiara_Fra
posted about 1 year ago
I'm thinking about starting a PhD with a UK university, with fieldwork based in an area where I have previously worked. The problem is that this area is marked by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) as a security red zone, with advise against all travel. Does anyone here know if a UK university is legally allowed to support a student doing fieldwork in a red zone?
I also noticed that some funding bodies will not provide funding for research for students in these areas. Did anyone have this problem and can suggest where I could find funds?
Thanks a lot!
23-May-19, 00:22
edited about 19 seconds later
by rewt
Avatar for rewt
posted about 1 year ago
I know this is a bit old but I had an interesting conversation today with someone similar.

The person was also travelling and collecting data in a high risk area but was able to get permission to travel. There was a special process that they went through via the legal team and pro-vice-chancellor to get approval. Basically they said, they had experience in the region, research was desperately needed on the topic and it fitted with the universities goals. There was a lot of paperwork and the person signed a document waiving the university of responsibility but it was possible. It may vary between universities but some do have obscure paths for high risk trips abroad.

PS: English University
23-May-19, 09:49
Avatar for Tudor_Queen
posted about 1 year ago
I think I recall one of my qualitative research lecturers talking about their research with children in refugee camps that had been set up in or near war zones. Hope you've managed to find more out.


Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved

Postgraduate Forum

Masters Degrees

PhD Opportunities

PostgraduateForum is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766