Choosing between two PhDs

posted
15-Sep-19, 14:23
edited about 17 seconds later
Avatar for Literatureman
posted about 3 months ago
Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate any advice on the following situation:

I have accepted an Unconditional offer from a London institution to undertake a part-time PhD in literature from January 2020. I have previous experience of this institution and have also discussed my PhD with my would-be supervisor, who is supportive of the project. So that's all well and good.

However, I have also been in touch with another supervisor from another institution, who has also said she is interested in supervising the project. But my gut instinct is to go with the London institution, so I have committed to starting there in January - and that decision feels right. (I didn't want to wait until next Sept to start).

So my question is: can I defer my place at the second institution (assuming I am offered a place when I complete my application very soon) until September 2020, and then enter funding competitions through both institutions? They receive funding from two different funding bodies.

I know it is not particularly problematic to apply for two funding competitions, but the difference here is I would have already started my PhD at the London institution in Jan. Are you allowed to enter a funding competition through another institution if you have already commenced study somewhere else?

Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated - I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this anywhere else.

Many thanks.

Postgraduate
Forum

Copyright ©2018
All rights reserved

Postgraduate Forum

Masters Degrees

PhD Opportunities

PostgraduateForum is a trading name of FindAUniversity Ltd
FindAUniversity Ltd, 77 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK. Tel +44 (0) 114 268 4940 Fax: +44 (0) 114 268 5766