HELP...MSc or PGDip?

H

Hi

I am currently a full-time MSc student at the University of Bristol. While I am enjoying my course content I am working 3 days p/w to afford it. I just about keeping up at Uni with pretty much zero social life!

I am extremely unhappy with my life and finances at the moment and I know I do not want a career in research or to complete a PhD. I have 0% motivation to complete a dissertation in the Spring and Summer at the moment. If I do not complete a dissertation (saving £2000) and switch to a Post Grad Diploma it would enable me to finish the course in April and get my life back on track.

Is a PGDip seen as a failed masters dissertation? I would like to work on public health projects for the NHS after this course and several of the jobs say either MSc or PGDip? However my partner is moving to either the USA or Oz in 18 months, how would a PGDip be viewed in these countries?

Sorry so many questions...I am just very stressed!

C

The value of an MSc is often more readily understood by employers unless your PGDip is being used directly in a field where it is well understood. Often as a professional qualification you can just have a PGDip and it is certainly not a failed MSc but it is only a small step on to get the MSc so try and see if you can do it - the dissertation is the chance to look at what interests you - sometimes it can offer a chance to make new and useful contacts that can take you in a new direction. It is a more highly rated qualification. Maybe you can be given longer to do your MSc - but you would really strong reasons to be given an extension. Have you talked to a tutor about this - try and find someone sympathetic to voice your problems to face-to-face?

My experience in Australia within education, is that while a Masters is valued-the PG Dip is seen as a relevant and useful professional qualification that is very well regarded. Once you are working, your work experience counts for more than qualifications-if you are qualified that is.

In other words, if you have the necessary qualifications to get to an entry level point for whatever it is you are doing-then how well you do in the job is more important than qualifications alone ( I am not talking about academia here but education in general). I've been on several interviewing panels and know this is how these panels have operated. They appreciate the qualifications but are much more interested in who the person is, how well they meet the stated (and unstated) criteria and whether they will learn and grow within the position-whether they will be competent in the job they have applied for and whether they are flexible enough to develop further-note develop further does NOT need only to include further formal tertiary study.

So if it really would be good sense financially and with regard to your personal and relationship needs, to exit with the PG Dip now and find work and then maybe consider further upgrades later (or not depending on your long term goals and situation), then don't worry about it being perceived as a failed Masters. I can't speak for the US though.

I agree with Cate though, think about your options, clarify your goals with some people whose advice you trust, or some university counselling or guidance staff and then make the best decision for you. if you do decide that you really want the Masters at this point in time, it might be worth it to knuckle down and just grit your teeth through the next few months knowing that it will be over shortly. But there is no right decision overall-just the right decision for you at this point in time.

Hi Health Horse,
Ive been thinking about your post and that you are in the health sector and need to qualify one thing in my answer. If you are looking to be a clinical practitioner-for example within counselling or something similar, the Masters is generally regarded as the preferable qualification. It isnt the only one and there are counsellors and social workers who have other forms of qualifications and much experience and who qualify as registered counsellors in Australia. But the Masters (in terms of being a fully qualified and licenced counsellor or similar) is increasingly being offered by universities and other providers as the end point on the pathway to this form of work.

I found this out because for the last three years,while I was really struggling with what I wanted to do and wondering about my own study choices, I researched what would be needed if I wished to qualify in this area rather than going further into the education sector. I made the choice not to take up this course for other reasons.

However, having made that qualification, post grad dips are still fine as entry points, and are offered by many universities as bona fide qualifications to get you into this sort of work in the health sector as well. Good luck and best wishes-it isn't easy making choices like this is it? Hope it all goes well.

H

Hi All

Sorry for late reply...assignments grr!! Thank you for all your advice. It was very helpful.

I have discussed my concerns with my tutor and we both think the best option is for me to continue to study for the MSc but to switch my studies to part time. This way I can gain some work experience in the public health field over the summer and complete the final module and dissertation this time next year, while also remaining part-time employed.

While I won't get to graduate with my friends, I think it will be worth it in the long run.

HH