The difference between high 2:1 (67.4%) and first class degree (68%)

A

I have obtained high 2:1 (67.4%) and one of my friends also got 2:1 (58%) and while my other friend who got first class degree by obtaining 68% while I have obtained higher exam pass rates 8/12 were above 76 marks while my assigments were above 55 in the third year .

my Question is when it come in the job market how will they differentiate between us and what advantage would first class student have, in other words will the <1% make a difference.

When I requested that my papers have to reviewed .My professors said that my degree is equivalent to first class and I can write my overall percentage (67.4%) in my CV. I would have obtained first class if I had obtained 67.5% and this would have been rounded to 68%.

Should I seek review or I should be proud for my degree?

Many thanks

Mowlid

T

Employers will only look at a 2.1 or a 1st - they won't see the 1% so yes, it will make a difference, but only a small one. A 2.1 is still a good degree.

In most universities a first is 70% and if you get put up to a 1st from a 68% onwards, you should consider yourself very lucky. If universities inflate grades in this way, they are usually only doing it to make themselves look better.

W

Usually results for modules are 'weighting' with year 3 results being key to your overall grade with year 1 results often discounted or only your 60 best credits counting when it comes to what the overall degree classification is. It's quite complex and not as straightforward as an overall percentage and as your 3rd year results weren't as good that probably influenced the 2:1 decision. It's up to you if you want to look into grounds for appeal but I'd say that's more for those consistently getting 68/69% in each module.

L

You should be proud - of course!

In terms of classing a 68%- 70% as a First, I agree with wozwers, in that it is often a lot more complicated, including considerations such as the weighting. I've previously come across the case of the 68%-70% 'upgrade' being awarded only if three quarters of the contributing credits are 70% +.