Urgently need advice about PhD funding for international students, help please!

C

I am an international student currently undertaking a Masters in biology/physiology in the US. I did my undergraduate at Cardiff University in the UK. I really want to do my PhD in the UK because some of my family members live there and the duration of a PhD in the UK is half that of a PhD in the US. Can anyone offer any advice on how to obtain funding if you are an international student (funding from my country, Kenya is not an option, its facing an economic disaster).Ive heard that the new terrorism laws may also negatively impact international students seeking PhDs in science in the UK. I have decent qualifications a 2.1 for undergrad and a 4.0 GPA for my masters.Is there any advice anyone can offer? Im quite desperate at this point.

C

I realise that it does sound kind of annoying for people to ask about funding. I have done my research, I know its very difficult to obtain. I guess what Im really looking for is advice from international students who have gotten funding successfully. Ive heard that research assistants are sometimes able to get funding for a PhD. Has anyone managed to do that?

L

if you get a job as a research assistant your boss may allow you to register for a part-time PhD, which would take as long as a full time one in the US but you get paid a salary and pay taxes. HOwever, you would need a work permit etc etc.
Have you tried Commonwealth scholarships, with Kenya being ex-commonwealth?Other than that you'd be better off staying in the USA if you can't get one in the UK

S

some universities/departments offer funding which is irrespective of nationality/residence, but this can be very competitive. you will have to browse the websites... the bill gates foundation offers funding for PhDs at Cambridge. If you are a woman, you could try the international federation of university women IFUW. Did you check out the wellcome trust? Having lived in the UK before, a key question is, do you have a work permit (or can you get one?) because if yes, you could try to combine partial funding with part-time work and living very cheaply, and if at some point funding runs out, you could work more until the financial situation eases up again. however if you can't work, you don't have that lifeline and so it is either fully funded or don't do the PhD, which will give you less options.

C

Thanks for the advice, I will look into those options.

R

try essex university as well. their funding base is not huge

L

Graduate research or teaching assistantships might be a possible way to fund your PhD work. I too am considering doing a PhD in the UK as opposed to my home country (the United States) due to the program duration as you stated. I've come across a few teaching assistantships in the UK, but you do have search. A helpful website is www.postgrad.com - loads of information for international studies considering postgraduate study in the UK. Good luck!