£112 million - what would you do?

D

I'd travel and go to all the places I've always wanted to and will probably find some more that aren't on my list! I'd buy property - I like the portfolio idea especially in different international cities and I'd love a personal chef too!!! I'd would also give money to my friends and family of course and charitable causes, and best of all I wouldn't have worry about funding for a postdoc!! I could even set up a fund to fund them as there seems to be so few around compared to PhDs. I would also set up a fund to grant travel expenses for conferences and fieldwork for PhDers and postdocs so they can do their research.

That's it for now - I'd better go back to it as I unfortunately forgot to buy a ticket so it's just a dream!! ;-)

B

On top of all the lavish items and luxury holidays etc, I would love to say that I'd still pursue and academic career, which would be even better without any financial concerns. I'd love to say that. But in reality, I think I'd get real lazy real fast. At some point I'd quit, because it would be too easy not to. I think it would leave a gap in my life that money can't fill. I honestly doubt I would seek challenge if I didn't need to. So yeah, winning the lottery would ruin me! Just as well I don't play :p

I'd want to buy the hotel I went to on honeymoon :-x

and an ice rink

B

Quote From sneaks:

I'd want to buy the hotel I went to on honeymoon :-x

My honeymoon hotel was horrible, but I could rectify that with another, proper honeymoon. Then I could buy that place instead :-)

Ooh, buying an ice rink sounds like a lot of fun!

I'd pay off all my debts, and all my family's debts, and be generous to them. Then I'd buy a house big enough for me and my other half to live in with a beautiful book-lined office with a great view over somewhere green. Or over a river maybe. Mmm. Yes, a river, with a little jetty at the bottom of the garden so if I needed a break from the thesis I could just drift out on the current and float off to a nice little island.

But it would be nice to finally be able to live with my other half, we're stuck in separate flats because of money issues (his negative equity on a flat too small for the two of us to share) so being together at last would be amazing.

And I'd support lots of good causes too - I like people's ideas for educational funds to support other people doing PhDs. Maybe I'd do something to help older students considering quitting work to go into full-time education. Or something environmental, as that's my area.

I wouldn't give up on the PhD, but the pressure to finish within three years because that's when the funding runs out would go. Great! I'd take a few months off the PhD though, and go on an adventure - I've always wanted to travel across Europe and Russia and down through China by train. Fantastic!

Gah. Don't want to get back to work now, all this dreaming is far too nice!

C

Well I have now bought my first two Euromillions tickets. Roll on Friday when I shall become a multi millionaire!

(Went for lucky dip as I had no idea how this lottery works. Numbers look like plausible winners!)

I might set up my own high impact journal (I'd pay people to cite my articles) and publish all my own work :-)

C

I would get somebody to do my editing for me - I am soooooooooooooooooooo bored of the corrections that I'd happily never look at my thesis again!!!!!! It doesn't help that I am feeling so tired that I can't seem to work!!!

J

Quote From sneaks:

I might set up my own high impact journal (I'd pay people to cite my articles) and publish all my own work :-)

I LOVE this idea - Can I plagiarise it if I win?

Of course JC. Although thinking about it, I'd have to get other people to publish there first, and get cited, before I would publish in it myself - I have standards donchya know and I can't publish in anything below impact factor of 3000. 8-)

oooh tonights the night. Please please please let me win! I seriously need the cash! and I'll give everyone on PGF at least £10 (well the people I recognise, not the LSBF posters)

J

We could set up a journal where we all cite each other to up the impact factor. And I would pay students to download my articles so they become the most downloaded.

Another thing I would do is (anonymously) give the uni I work in some money to do some social research in something that the VC would think is really fatuous as it would wind him up (despite being a new university he has dilusions of grandeur and still thinks in terms of subjects that would be familiar to Plato and Aristotle!). I might endow a chair in something like Soap Opera Studies or Theme Parks - he wouldn't turn down the cash (I think) but he wouldn't be thrilled with the subjects I would chose.;-)

With £122m I could easily afford a few windups like that ;-) as the interest would be c£1m a year even if you don't touch the capital.

C

What's a LSBF poster?

someone who posts about what a wonderful university London School of Business and Finance is, there was a period a while back where the forum was inundated with it.

C

Aah thanks.