Any good book?

A

Hi all. I just had enough these days reading around my PhD area. However I do enjoy reading and soon I am going on a long Christmas holiday, so, I was wondering whether you guys have to suggest a good book to bring with me (it can be anything, I am interested in many domains).

P

Recently finished 'The Lovely Bones' by Alice Sebold and 'The Time Travellers Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger. Would recommend them both.

A

Time Traveller's Wife is brilliant, highly recommended. Also, "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel

D

I agree Life of Pi is great. I read about half of time travellers wife and gave up - I think its a good book, just not my type of thing.

Robert Harris' Pompei is good and apparently he's written a new one about Rome, but not sure of the name

H

Life of Pi is my most favourite book.

Piglet, I cried all the way through lovely bones, it was so sad.

If you want some more light-hearted reading, I recommend any of the adrian mole books by Sue Townsend!

T

If you like fantasy fiction then try 'The Chronicles of The Raven' by James Barclay. He has a very fast paced and gritty writing style, I really enjoyed them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronicles_of_The_Raven

R

Our book club read the Time Travellers Wife - we all loved it, think i'd go as far as to say it is my favourite book! Did make me cry though!

F

Another vote for the Time Traveller's Wife, although I did find it hard to get into to start with. Worth the effort though.

I am intrigued by Life of Pi now, thanks for the recommendation!

K

I just read "A short history of tractors in ukrania" (title was something like that) It's not about tractors though. I thought it was a nice book.

S

The secret history by donna tartt

F

My boyfriend has been allowing my geekyness to reach new levels, I have been reading comics...very good stress relief! I also recently read good omens, funny but dark.

P

I have to agree with Life of Pi also - so unique.

H - The Lovely Bones made me cry too. I just loved the authors idea of what happens to us after death - no mention of religion or god.

I think it is unanimous, athina: Life of Pi, Time Travellers Wife, The Lovely Bones. Wish I could go back and enjoy all 3 for the first time myself!

A

Oh, I've not read lovely bones, will have to get a copy now!

R

i found the lovely bones very disturbing. It's compelling and impossible to put down but so upsetting and sad. I think particularly when you think about the fact that it's based loosly on the author's experiences. I've also read her other on "Lucky" and find it even worse, with regard to the subject matter, prehaps that is because it a true story. So not one for a bit of light reading!

A

Thank you guys! I am surprised you have all read the same (more or less) books . I hadnt heard of any of those I ll go for the top three suggested on this page and I will come back to you . Thanks!!!!