Confessions: Things that you cannot believe you started doing...

oh no! I also realised that I started narrating my own life since starting this PhD. It's a bit like reporting back to yourself in your head. That's scary. Has anyone watched Lucky Luke when they were kids? I'm talking about the sort of narration that Lucky Luke does.

T

Hehe narrating your life reminded me of this Family Guy clip http://youtube.com/watch?v=1tX408Onv3E

Regarding using words out of context.. I was laughing at myself the other day lol.. I was unpacking my shopping and putting stuff in the fridge and living in a shared house space is at a premium and so I was organising my stuff in there (as you do?) lol and I was saying things like 'Right I can put these in like this because I'll be using them synchronously' I should have given myself a slap round the head for it!

that's a good one Tricky. If only the fridge could talk back...

Yeah, I remembered that episode too. Great isn't it? That's why I gave the reference of Lucky Luke, just in case people thought I sounded like Griffin.

J

I have this really embarassing/sad habit of singing that crap james blunt song called beautiful at things when something goes well (e.g. when I get good PCR bands or when my cells look really nice). This weekend I was alone in the lab singing your beautiful to my pulsed field gel. I think i need help!

are you singing it with the same helium-inhaled voice as Blunt?

P

Tee hee, Jen. I know what that is like. I used to sing "You are my sunshine" to my transformant colonies!

The other sad thing was after watching the movie Love Actually, I started quoting the "Where the f*ck is the f*cking (insert whatever I was looking for)" line around the lab...Where the f*ck is the f*cking parafilm? Where the f*ck is the f*cking citric acid?

But then it got ridiculous and became "Where the f*ck is the f*cking 10-well comb for the big DNA gel that will allow me to load 80 microlitres of sample?"! I knew I had been saying it too much when my supervisor came up to me one day and said "Piglet, where the f*ck is that f*cking paper we were discussing earlier?"!

S

Sometimes I have those sorts of mornings like on Three Weddings And A Funeral where he wakes up late and nothing is going right. It usually involves me dashing round the flat (in true Hugh Grant style saying "f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, f***, " as you do.

J

no I don't try and make it sound like him.

T

My word of the month is b*llocks.. If something isn't going right it gets a 'b*llocks'..

I

f**k is a most flexible word:

f**k, the f**king f**ker's f**ked!!

J

b*llocks is my word of choice when something goes wrong

K

I know this is an old thread but it made me laugh so much. I can identify so much with what people have said.

When I'm working from home, I have taken to sitting at the computer with a shawl over my shoulders (don't ask me why I started that but it has almost become a comfort blanket thing).. very embarrassing, but I have romanticised it in my own head.. in a Bronte sister type way.. if I had an ink well I might dip my mouse in it!?

aww

T

Hehe

I

big brother - and actually, i'm no longer ashamed. so there.