Diet

Ok, so I've just had lunch, which consisted of a cinema size bag of minstrels and 2 dairylea triangles. :$

I know we have had similar threads before, but I need ideas for EASY to make, healthy eating ideas, for a VERY FUSSY eater - no salad please (I don't really like cold food)

T

Crumpets with marmite and cheese are a brilliant winter snack, yum.
Sweet potato, peanut and chilli soup is very heartening (and easy). Other soups equally so.
Noodles - add cashews, chicken....and maybe sneak in some veg, all stir-fried up.
Come lunch time here I'm a big fan of the humble baked spud. Top with beans, tuna, cheese, etc.
Pasta with courgettes, garlic and lemon?
Could you bear cold veggies with a nice dip or some humous? Alternatively just stick a tray of winter veg in the oven with a little olive oil and slow cook until they're all caramelised.
Baked apples or bananas (with a little ice cream) are a good way to get more fruit, I do my apples with a dot of butter, some brown sugar and raisens - so comforting ona cold day.
Mashed potato is always a winner too, mix it with bacon and onion then fry as potato cakes.

......Can you tell I like food?

S

======= Date Modified 01 Feb 2010 14:14:15 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
stir fry veg with chicken and noodles (egg or rice) with teriyaki or soya sauce.
Tuna steak and rice and peas
normal stir fry with or without chicken or quorn pieces.
i wouldn't recommend pasta as a 'healthy' food as it has no nutritional benefit it's just carbs!

I've never had tuna steak, is it different to tuna in a tin?

S

Sneaks, google image tuna steaks. That'll answer your question.

I'm currently on a bit of a back-to-basics meat cookery kick. No sauces, no complexity, just seasoning and a sizzle. Yum. Also started cooking Thai, which is very healthy and pretty basic if you get a ready-made spice paste.

Out of interest, how easy is easy? Are we talking Delia cheats recipes (which includes a recipe for mushroom risotto that involves buying a risotto then adding mushrooms) or Delia prior to her sell-out offence-against-god crap book?

Just a thought, omelette's are quick, healthy, versatile and, if you can get someone to teach you the basics (it's harder learning it from a book), easy.

not THAT basic - I do just get a bit lazy though. I do cook lasagne, casseroles, spagetti bolognase, my amazing chilli prawn noodle dish etc all from scratch with no jar sauces etc. And I'm usually fine for evening meals - its the lunchtimes I struggle with.

I do know what a tuna steak looks like, but is the texture the same as in the tin? - I always find tuna a bit dry without a huge amount of mayo on it and can't imagine eating a whole steak of it!

Quote From teek:

Could you bear cold veggies with a nice dip or some humous?

No - humous is the food of the devil.

S

Hehe, I've never had tuna from a tin, so I can't give you a comparison (I try to avoid processed foods, not very successfully it must be said, but I've never got into the habit of tinned tuna.) I do like tuna steaks though.

Hmmm, lunch and no cold food is a toughie....unless you have access to a microwave? Or a thermos food flask! Soups, stews (with some bread for dipping?) and things like that can be kept in them. So you could make something for dinner, have a bit left over then warm it up and shove it in a flask in the morning (up).

Hmm, I want one now. Apparently it's also possible to cook (very very slowly) in them.

S

i love this food thread! Satchi's tips:
1. boiled egg, banana, some grapes and a piece of cheese
2. carrot stick, wheat crackers and peanut butter
3. yesterday's fried rice and apple juice
:-)

I do have a microwave - and full kitchen. I tend to work from home. Surely tinned tuna is just tuna in a tin? I do try to have organic stuff when looking at meat, cos when they feed cows other cows it scares me a little.

S

1. Soups - pumpkin; roast vegetable (easy - throw some veges in the oven, cook, throw into blender - done!), potato and leek. Freeze some and take for lunch.

2. stir fries - throw veges into wok, add tofu, add some crispy or soft noodles and a few sauces. I live on stir fries - fresh and v. healthy.

3. all sorts of pasta (and carbs aren't bad for you - your body needs carbs as well) - a simple tomato based pasta with tomato, basil, olives and mushrooms; or chilli, parsley, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

Tuna can be dry - go for an oily fish, like salmon or trout.

======= Date Modified 01 Feb 2010 20:59:41 =======
Hi Sneaks, what about lentil and tomatoe soup: put about half a mug of red lentils in a pan with a tin of tomatoes, some water, mixed herbs, a bay leaf and salt and pepper. Boil for at least 45 minutes and walla lentil and tom soup.

Or my favourite dead easy biscuits which are almost healthy:

3oz each of flour, porridge oats, sugar and butter. Also a table spoon of golden syrup and half a teaspoon of baking powder. Pre-heat oven to gas 6 and grease a baking tray. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and melt the butter in a pan with the syrup, then mix the lot up together. Make round balls with the mix, then flatten them out onto the greased baking tray to make biscuit shapes to the size of your taste. Pop in the oven for 10 minutes then leave them to cool on a wire rack until you feel like eating them. Store in an air tight container, and carefully maintain denial that the oats counter-act all the sugar and butter.

P

Sneaks would you mind sharing the amazing chilli prawn noodle recipe? Thanks so much if you can!!

Bug

T

Porridge!!!

Just put it in the microwave, buy the good oats and you don't even need to make it with milk (use plain old water). If you are feeling extreme, chop up some banana or apple to serve with it. Yummm.

Want a more savory snack? Just sprinkle some lardons over the top and serve with a boiled egg.

ps, please don't try the savory snack, that recipe is fictional. Although, I wonder what a certain Mr. Blumenthal would have to say about it?

Quote From phdbug:

Sneaks would you mind sharing the amazing chilli prawn noodle recipe? Thanks so much if you can!!

Bug

haha, ok, its not that amazing, but it does taste yummy. Basically boil some linguine. in another pan put olive oil, black pepper and chopped garlic, cook it for a few minutes, careful not to burn! Put in 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes (from one of those jars), and then at the last minute add realling juicy king or tiger prawns (heads and jackets off) heat through, strain the linnguine and add it to the prawn pan, stir round and VOILA. However, it is frequently too spicy for me, so I like to add a tablespoon of creme freche when served mmmmmmm.

It pays to get the more expenisve big fat juicy prawns!