I am MBA finance and can't find job!

M

I would like to know what to do. I decided not to include this title in my CV. Then I could work at least as Finance assistant or administrative assistant for example, but nothing, and apart from my studies I really have an integral knowledge and experience but I have been working just at assistant level. for example I am very good in financial data analysis and have good interpretation skills at the same that I have high IT skills that would go very well with a data analyst, ... but I just can't do it because it seems my previous experience doesn't show this. well I have done my posgrade in Mexico UNAM, and I had experience there always as assistant level and in italy and here in london I was working in a shop as assistant manager while improving my English. does all this issues prevent them to employ me? I was thinking to try some graduate programmes, which I don't see there are, but I am not sure yet, I am 33 years in April, and I graduated in 2006.
Thanks for your comments!
Maya

J

Hi Masha
It isn't clear what nationality you are but that might be an issue for some employers if you don't have an eu passport.  Also 33 is quite old in the UK to be looking for graduate finance positions they do exist but you would need to make clear in your cv what you have done since leaving school (most people in the Uk would be looking for graduate fiance jobs at around 21/22).
If you are looking for a finance job then you would probably better to have a professional qualification (ACA, ACMA etc) rather than an MBA and also for many finance jobs you need to be up on the current accounting and legal requirements of the UK.  You could look into the professional bodies and see if how easily you can convert your MBA into the professional qualification. When I worked as an Accountant in industry (1988-2005) most staff had (or were working towards) professional qualifications - good news is if you can get a graduate position employers will often pay for training and give study leave.
Have you tried contacting the temp agencies for finance staff - companies like Michael Page?  That is a great way to get into companies - often a temp job can turn into a permanent job.
Sorry I can't be more positive but hopefully this will give you some suggestions

Chris

M

======= Date Modified 15 Mar 2010 21:52:13 =======
Hi Chris,
Many thanks for your kind comments, I really appreciate it.
It's very true, even my permit to stay includes the right to work, I know employers may not take it with good eyes that I am from Mexico and studied there. I think would be great to work towards those professional qualifications. I just would like to have the budget for it.
I think I will just keep trying by applying in those positions they don't require them.
I will take your advice as well to look for temp finance position, I hope something comes up, let's say a miracle, here in Milton Keynes :)
Thanks again, you gave me a valuable advice.
M

E

Why would you not include the MBA in your CV? Surely that's quite an asset when looking for jobs in finance??

Most of the big investment and retail banks and financial services companies have graduate programs - just look at their websites. I did one myself when I graduated, and still work at the same company, though now I've got a PhD offer I won't be there much longer!

They're very competitive though (I got a lot of rejections before getting a place) and it's true that most people will be younger than you, however you do get the occasional older person who's been a mature student. I guess it can be an advantage, if you can make a strong case for how your employment experience so far makes you suitable for the job. The only thing to be careful about is check if you're still eligible to apply as a graduate given that it's been a few years since you graduated, some programs have a cutoff time after which you have to apply as an experienced hire instead.

M

So you think, if I want to apply let's say for a finance/administrative assistant, would they took it with good eyes that I am MBA, wouldn't they wonder about how comes having an MBA I am applying for this position that doesn't even require any university studies (in same cases). because I am trying to apply for this positions now, just saying finances studies and BA degree.
It's really incomprehensible why I am not even shortlisted, I am a bit confused what issues they are considering... .
you are very kind with your suggestions. Thanks.

J

Hi Maya
I think it would be a good idea to talk to one of the recruitment consultants for the type of jobs you are looking for - many companies use these to undertake the shortlisting for them - they can give you good advice on your cv, interview practice and so on. They have permanent and temporary posts and the best bit is that their services are free to the candidate - they are paid by the employer.
Good Luck

Chris

M

Thanks again Chris, I am working on my confidence now, and preparing myself to start again and considering different options, yeah, all this made me a little bit weak, I think I feel discriminated. it's a shame...  I would like to work in my subject, in the things I am the best... perhaps I am not being able to show this or simple they don't even consider me because my origin or because the employment crisis everyone talks about... who knows I have to keep trying, I am doing so... and following valuable advices as yours.

Maya

Quote From jepsonclough:

Hi Maya
I think it would be a good idea to talk to one of the recruitment consultants for the type of jobs you are looking for - many companies use these to undertake the shortlisting for them - they can give you good advice on your cv, interview practice and so on. They have permanent and temporary posts and the best bit is that their services are free to the candidate - they are paid by the employer. 
Good Luck

Chris

L

Hi Masha. I believe you've found your dream job by now. However I strongly urge you to read the book" The Business of the 21st Century' by Robert T. Kiyosaki. Don't thank me but Mr Robert for his valuable book.