In love with my supervisor!

J

There's nothing wrong with feelings, Scamp. You are bound to be attracted to unavaialble people at some point: we've all been there.

I hope things get easier for you

S

Tell us your story juno

J

It's not that interesting! As an undergrad I was attracted to a male friend but he had no feelings for me whatsoever (in that way, anyway). Seeing him daily made it quite hard, esp. cos when he was drunk he would try it on with me, then the next day tell me again that he did not find me attractive.

Now as a (hopefully) mature 32-year old, I wish I'd told him to bog off instead of hanging on to the drunken snogs as proof that he really did like me.

Suffice to say that I don't even think about him anymore, and I can't see why I was so bothered in the first place. You'll get there too, eventually.

L

sounds like you're very mature and know the reality of the situation. that is right, you can't help how you feel about someone.

i currently hate my supervisor though lol.

maybe being in love with your supervisor may act like a motivation for you to do good work, in order to "impress" him.

you never know, your feelings might change, when you meet someone else.

L

aww juno, i understand how it feels to have feelings for a friend that doesnt feel the same! unreciprocated feeling does indeed suck.
but glad you got over it, good for you!

J

Thanks Lara: it's true, at the time you think you'll never be yourself again, but it always passes.

L

i hope you're right juno!

L

V

LOL!

S

hi scamp, i have the same problem exactly , and am exactly like you,
i can not help it, it is getting deeper and deeper every day , it is very difficult, and i make every excuse to talk to him or be close to him , i guess they know it , and they know they have to act nice cause other wise you will hate them , so they will be nicer to you , which makes it even harder for us to get over it, the thing is the only reason i live for now is a look from his eyes, i can not stop that feeling , although like you , i respect marriage etc but i always all the time think of him , and i even compare any guy who is interested in me to him , and reject them .

S

======= Date Modified 08 Nov 2009 16:11:35 =======

L

it might not do any harm to refocus yourself. Although sometimes when you like someone you want them to think the best of you and you end up doing much better work to impress them and please them.
Although its not really an ideal situation it can just be the proximity.
Perhaps just try and keep it as profssional as possible so it wont affect your phd.

R

I admire all of you. I have just one question " Where the heck do you guys get time to think about such things?"

T

hehe, I think about this stuff all the time even when I am writing a paper ..
anyway, I don't judge the feeling, I just think it is too complex; keeping the work relation professional is quite important for a successful PhD ..

N

Hey everybody,
I have a similar problem:
I am very attracted to my new supervisor. I wouldn't call it being in love but this will come, I am afraid.
I just started to work with him, so we only talked twice. Both times pretty long, about work but also other stuff.
The thing is: I have the impression that he is also attracted to me, he seems to be pleased and nervous at the same time, when I am there. And, as you can imagine, this makes me even more excited...
So it is not admiration, it's just too much sympathy for a professional relationship.And whats really bad and dangerous: He is unmarried and lives alone (he invited me to his flat, no traces of female inhabitants).
I am trying to kill the desire, if you know what I mean, but to feel that there is some kind of electricity between us - omg, that's thrilling me.
So please, tell me to be reasonable And give me advise what to do if he makes a step towards me. I can stay cool like this, but I am not sure, if I can resist.