lecturer salaries

======= Date Modified 10 Apr 2010 20:29:54 =======
Hi Sneaks, I'm going to send off a speculative CV to the great time lords in the sky when I'm near completion: they need a woman Dr. Who, surely the equal opps commision of the universe are jumping up and down about that by now. If I get it, I'll almost certainly get funding for an assistant, so I'll offer you that if you want... No living expenses, copious travel and you can make a fortune on magic tricks at parties, what say?

And I'm pretty confident you'd be able to get all your dog walking in in one block at the start of the contract, time travel knocks the socks off flexi-time!

S

hi sneaks its satchi; have you seen this one

Twin sisters were on the verge of turning one hundred years old.
The editor of the local newspaper told a photographer to get over there and take pictures of the two 100 year old twins.
One of the twins was hard of hearing and the other could hear quite well.

Once the photographer arrived he asked the sisters to sit on the sofa.

The deaf sister said to her twin, “WHAT DID HE SAY?”

“WE GOTTA SIT OVER THERE ON THE SOFA!”, said the other.

“Now get a little closer together,” said the cameraman.

Again, “WHAT DID HE SAY?”

“HE SAYS SQUEEZE TOGETHER A LITTLE.”

So they wiggled up close to each other.

“Just hold on for a bit longer, I’ve got to focus a little,” said the photographer.

Yet again, “WHAT DID HE SAY?”

“HE SAYS HE’S GONNA FOCUS!”

With a big grin the deaf twin shouted out, “OH MY – BOTH OF US?”

J

Very quick reply as I am just back from holiday and am trying to catch up (yes I know I should be catching up with uni e-mails but they can wait until tomorrow)

Many years ago someone told me that men glance at a job spec and see one or two things on it they can do and immediately apply (even though they don't have the rest of the essentials) whereas women look though and see one minor desirable that they don't have and decide that there is no way they can apply.

Go for it.

Lecturer salaries are fairly standard - most unis have lecturers on Grade 7 or 8 and then you go up a grade for senior lecturer, principle lecturer / assoc prof /reader, full prof and so on.  The UCU website probably has the grades and salaries on but there is quite a wide band.

(Oh and if you still don't think with all your qualifications you are worth it - look at what Aldi offer graduate trainee store managers - to save you all looking it up its c £40k plus a car rising to £60k plus an audi after 3 years)
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/career_and_jobs/graduate_management/article5512243.ece

E

Many years ago someone told me that men glance at a job spec and see one or two things on it they can do and immediately apply (even though they don't have the rest of the essentials) whereas women look though and see one minor desirable that they don't have and decide that there is no way they can apply

Interesting - I heard a similar idea once, that men find out about a job with a high salary and think 'wow, I've got to apply for that', whereas women (with the same qualifications) will look at it and think 'oh no, they'd never want someone like me, I'd be embarrassed even to apply'.

I'm sure it's a gross over-generalisation, and also in some cases the stereotypical cautious woman might have judged the situation correctly, and the stereotypical over-confident man is blinded by his arrogance. But sometimes we could do with a bit of that arrogance, and it doesn't seem to be something girls pick up as readily for whatever reason.

Satchi, that's just wrong! :p (up)

well I'm going to apply! Yay!

my hubs' favourite joke at the mo...

Knock Knock

Whos' there?

Ive dinip

Ive dinip who?

Hahahahaha

You have to say it out loud for it to make sense!

*strolls down to Aldi*