New party Ppe

G

======= Date Modified 07 25 2010 14:25:20 =======
========== This thread had been moved ==========
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
======= Date Modified 02 50 2010 14:50:43 =======
======= Date Modified 18 33 2010 14:33:02 =======
Dear All, I am starting a new political party in Colchester and am looking for like minded people who will support me as future MP in may2010 in Colchester. I need practical help leaflets canvassing, ideas etc. I will be standing as an independent, party name www.peoplespartyessex.org.uk . I believe all major parties have good ideas but at present we only get the vote once every 5yrs. People can lobby their MP but we rely on them to vote on issues. We feel powerless to have a say on everyday issues that are import and to us. I propose that every month while parliament is sitting a vote is put to the public who can support or not by phone or text vote like we do in Xfactor (with more time obviously) If a particular issue such as tuition fees or the war in IRAQ then a high vote, this would indicate the public view. This would have a strong effect on to following vote in parliament by our MPs. I do not propose to change existing systems of government but this would force politicians to listen to the general public. We would also be enabled, empowered to show our support by our vote if we choose to do so (text votes could cost up to £1). The existing disenfranchised public would feel empowered, we could stop some of the mad frustrating decisions passed just because the existing government has a good majority. It is believed that by the election we could have a hung parliament, that means independent MP's such as myself, if I were voted in would be able to influence decisions especially if a coalition government was formed. If I fail in my bid to get voted in in Colchester, these issues of improved democracy could still be served by the publicity concerning these issues and that can only be good for us and our country. Remember these issues affect all people and a phone/text vote would enable young people too who at present are not yet voting age. This I believe that would bring the politicians more into our accountability and would bring more responsibility to us since we would have a greater say in our own future. Politics could eventually become a non dirty word and it would save us here in GB to only talk about the weather. I am endeavouring to get the [email protected] on facebook, my space and twitter as well, and you can personally contact me on this address. I am just one man and so I desperately need help. 
Much success in your studies,

GARRYCK NOBLE Bsc Law   web site: www.peoplespartyessex.org.uk

D

DanB will resist the urge to correct spelling and grammar.

He will. Even if he is biting his lip very hard indeed.

G

You are quite right even though I used spell check I do need a secretary. R u volunteering. I do have dyslexia as you can see. Garryck

D

I used to be quite active for one of the major parties who I became disillusioned with and I'm all for new blood coming in and shaking things up a bit.

A couple of things I don't necessarily agree with and why I couldn't support you at this stage.

Firstly, phone and text voting is all very well for those who are competent and able to do so but might only appeal to certain demographics. There is too much potential bias for me to thing that it would be a more successful gauge of public opinion than existing polling. It would also be extremely open to abuse.

Secondly, public majority opinion isn't always the best opinion. I don't favour that at all and think a lot of legislation is passed correctly. I also think a lot isn't, but you're never going to please everyone and that's always the difficult part. But the present system I don't think is entirely bad.

I think we could do with far more independent MPs, I really do, and there also needs to be a major shakeup. But we already have the ability to present our thoughts and opinions to our politicians and relegating it down to a television style contest to me would just damage and cheapen politics as opposed to restoring it.

And apologies if my comments seemed rather flippant but if any (present or future) politician wants me to take them seriously then it has to come across as professional. If it's any consolation I got a BNP leaflet a few months ago and sent it back with all the grammatical and spelling errors 8-)

G

Thank you so much for your comments i am very open to all ideas and your points are valid. You are right the majority view is not always the best and such an approach on Tv could cheapen politics in this glam type manner. Turning politics into a kind of show biz would interest the general public, people do want to be entertained, the final manner of style of the public vote is flexible from my point of view. I am open to suggestions of how this can work better.

i just feel that I like many feel out of touch in politics, unless you are a party activist, but most people just want their own life. They are willing to spend a short period of time on issues and have there say. A referendum is too costly and time consuming, and people near schools and retired people can be bothered to vote, the rest don't feel its worth the effort.

I just feel excited about people having their say on important issues rather than just maybe voting once every 5yrs. Would it not be more interesting when you are next in a cue to not have to talk about the weather.

Take Care

Garryck

G

Hi at last I have the party online peoplespartyessex.org.uk
If you want to meet me in Colchester will be in High St on Sat after 2pm.

Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Colchester, Garryck Noble PPe
If you want to help or join party: [email protected]

G

Hi D of B. Would you like to meet up I would appreciate a serious thinker and appreciate your comments. I will be in Colchester High St sat afternoons after 2pm. My picture is on the web and hopefully I will have a purple Rosette on my jacket.

Regards

garryck www.peoplespartyessex.org.uk

W

Politics, eh? Not been a good year for you lot, has it? I suppose watching Tower Block of Commons, and their ritual humiliation in the real world, made up for it a tiny bit though. I'd rather exercise my democratic rights by watching paint dry or pulling my teeth out than getting involved in politics. I think a good proportion of the UK population agrees too. I'd better stop, lest I sound hackneyed. No offence directed at you of course. Good luck in your quest.

A

pfffff.....as much as i agree with you wally and hate politics and all the complete guff politicians spew out on a daily basis, I think it's time people got a bit more interested in what's going on. I think the current dire state is partly due to too little interest being taken in politics and no-one really getting/caring about what's going on so politicians have been able to get away whatever takes their fancy a lot....and as a result, there isn't a single decent candidate for this years election. Seriously, there isn't one of those eejits I'd want to run the country. But that's never going to change until people get involved. I just don't know if I have the resolve to face it yet....

S

Wasn't going to bother as I think this thread is a piece of fluff, but am procrastinating, so may as well...

Garryck, good on you for wanting to get involved in politics and make a difference. Laudable aims. However, I agree with DanB. Introducing polling for issues, and then acting accordingly, is naive, to say the least. It shows a lack of understanding of parliamentary and governance issues. There are so many problems with this idea I don't know where to start, but here's a few:
- as DanB points out, majority polling isn't the best way to determine policy. It's populist and reactive. It's the equivalent of a tabloid newspaper and they're methodologically unreliable polls. Conservative voters, or those who tend to believe passionately would vote, others wouldn't - hardly representative.
- Leaders need to lead and have a vision, not necessarily follow the mainstream. I wouldn't trust policy made by people casting spur of the moment votes - I want someone who has thought about these issues. 
- Garryck, have you ever looked at a parliamentary sitting agenda? Parliament debates dozens of issues each week - are you going to poll each one? Or just those which you deem to be important enough? How are you going to get across the complexity of some policy proposals, which may be economic and dry for eg, but essential, so people can have a simplistic 'yes' or 'no' vote?
- Not everyone has access to the internet or a mobile phone. True - many older people would not use this technology to vote. You'd be disenfranschising them.
- You also seem to be lacking awareness of how policy is developed. In best case examples, consultations are held, green and white papers are issued, relevant organisations and individuals have their say, analysis is done, complete with risk analysis and costings. Once all this is done, should it be overturned by a populist vote? I don't think so. There are avenues for people to get involved, be it through the policy development process or by directly getting involved in politics. If they choose not to, well, that's a bigger societal issue and one which won't be solved by a trivial poll.

I know of at least one political party which does poll it's members through their website and email and this shapes policy, and this seems to work. These people are already engaged, being members of the party, and so this is additional feedback from politically aware people. But polling nationally? I don't think so.

Finally Garrick, you may not have noticed, but this is a forum for postgrad students to discuss postgrad issues, not politics. And having said that, I've now spent enough time on this ill-thought out idea.

G

Hi all and thank you for your different comments. A special message for Sue, you obviously feel very strongly about politics, I spent many years not voting feeling disenfranchised from any decision making, I hope you are wrong about voting for the public because what is to be done. For Politicians to continue their own sweet way means a rather bleak future. Any way thank you for the length of your comment, you have passion, so does Eddie Izzard and I am a big fan of his.
How about Eddie for PM?
In 2005 I completed my Law course at Plymouth University so I understand manny legal aspects of government. On my web site in the section PPe polices it mentions about my polices on voting in more detail. Your passion with thousands of other even millions of people working together can work miracles. This was how the Berlin wall was torn down and the cold war ended.
At Easter religious people claim miracles are happening now.

Maybe the greatest miracle is within the Human Heart,
The heart chakra of the world is located in Pilis Hungary Dont loose Hope Garryck

A

======= Date Modified 03 Apr 2010 11:04:38 =======
oh god my stomach just turned over reading this....

P

"He believes in equality between rich and poor, black & white, straight and gay, old & young, immigrant & citizen"

Oh wow. Who on earth wouldn't claim that? What on earth will ever prove this? How on earth is this something 'special' you are doing?

You aren't convincing anyone here as you notice...

S

I particularly like the 'if you hate politicians, vote for me' slogan. A nice, meaningless, catchy slogan to complement the simplistic polls. And no policies on the website, just a bunch of catchphrases. Ah well, ya gotta love democracy, brings out all sorts.

G

Hi All

Just catchy slogans, well that's politics, you will hear lots of those in the next few weeks, I suspect that those of you who belong to a political party at present do not like my so called simplistic comments. (you feel threatened )

You are saying that I should set out a manifesto like the other parties, and if voted in implement them in statute during the course of the parliament (usually 5yrs). Well look at history it does not work, its centres around the one Person at the top, called the PM. He/She has absolute power, its the cabinet that the PM controls that runs the country and the MP's are whipped into line. The Public feels disenfranchised by this fake democracy. Some say the public don't now what is good for them so lets not let them have a say in the legislation about to be passed that affects them. Or if they vote as a majority on a subject I may not like there response because i have different views.. Well I say 2u THIS IS DEMOCRACY. What do you want instead? I have set out honestly what I will do, and if voted in I will do my level best to implement my promise to my electorate. I remember that I am their Servant and that i am there to implement their wishes, my opinion comes second.

Also I am one person and Independent and Know my limitations. I cannot change the world but people on mass can.

Yes now you are hearing some of my Passions

Take Care and your opinion is valuable as is all peoples;

Garryck PPe