Research Assistant Jobs

M

I've applied (and I'm continously applying) to jobs offered to BSc graduates as my masters/phd is being severely delayed so a good chance to get some real experience and see if I can get a job. I applied to a few institutions at UCL but have yet to hear anything, any advice/experience anyone can share about the application process and how long it can take? It's been two weeks today since my first application and the one I'm most hopeful for.

Edit: my status reads Application Received

T

It varies a lot. Sometimes on the website they specify a date when you hear by or they say you hear xxx weeks after the closing date. I'd say if you haven't heard anything 4 weeks after the closing date/date they gave, you probably haven't got an interview, but you can always email to check. In my experience they stick quite closely to these dates.

However, one of the postdoc jobs I applied for emailed me 4 months after the closing date to say I was unsuccessful - think I'd already worked that out by then!

H

In general, academics are not the most efficient recruiters. 2 weeks on you'll be lucky if the PI has actually started reading the applications in some cases! So I wouldn't worry too much. Anything that has a deadline in the next couple of weeks probably won't be interviewed for until the new year.

Good luck!

M

Thanks guys, I feel UCL is quite erratic with their response timing as they never specify an interview date. I'm assuming it won't be told until after the new year myself but it is also very frustrating as I can do a lot of reading for it to be prepared just being hopeful I do get it and then come January I may not even get an interview so it'll be sort of effort wasted, any advice what to do whilst I wait it out that will be productive?

I'm thinking to brush up on my knowledge in general, pick up on new techniques and also work on job interview skills generally. And the position was based for BSc graduates (as the minimum) at Grade 6, is it therefore likely or possible by any chance that a person who has completed their PhD can obtain the position? It seems unfair but I'm not sure if it does actually happen.

@HazyJane the deadline was on 23rd Nov. and the start date is in March/April 2016.

T

It's probably best to keep your options open (i.e. apply for other jobs) and not get too fixated on one job as you may be very disappointed then if you don't get it.

Interview prep is always good anyway, if not for this job then for the next one.

If the job is advertised without a PhD requirement, they don't actually want someone with a PhD. Also, they may not necessarily give it someone with a PhD because they may anticipate that person will get bored easily ie generally people don't do a PhD because they want to do a RA job. Of course someone with a PhD can get the position in some cases, a job is a job at the end of the day, and it may not be something the person wants, but something they apply for through lack of other opportunities.

I know several people with PhDs in technician roles - some are permanent and happy with this as it suits their lifestyle requirements, and some are temporary whilst they look for postdocs/industry roles.

M

Quote From TreeofLife:
It's probably best to keep your options open (i.e. apply for other jobs) and not get too fixated on one job as you may be very disappointed then if you don't get it.

Interview prep is always good anyway, if not for this job then for the next one.

If the job is advertised without a PhD requirement, they don't actually want someone with a PhD. Also, they may not necessarily give it someone with a PhD because they may anticipate that person will get bored easily ie generally people don't do a PhD because they want to do a RA job. Of course someone with a PhD can get the position in some cases, a job is a job at the end of the day, and it may not be something the person wants, but something they apply for through lack of other opportunities.

I know several people with PhDs in technician roles - some are permanent and happy with this as it suits their lifestyle requirements, and some are temporary whilst they look for postdocs/industry roles.

That's been my main focus and I'm continuously doing this, it is disheartening though as I don't hear anything for weeks and it seems academic roles are like this.

H

It's good to brush up on new stuff, but for an RA job hopefully they won't be expecting you to have a full mastery of a wide range of techniques. Rather, be prepared to talk about any research experience you've had to date (e.g. third year project, summer placements) including the strengths and limitations. I fell fowl of this once in a PhD interview outside my main topic area - put all my effort into swotting up on the topic of the post but wasn't able to talk confidently about my existing experience. Needless to say I didn't get an offer!

T

I think most jobs are like this to be honest.

M

Quote From HazyJane:
It's good to brush up on new stuff, but for an RA job hopefully they won't be expecting you to have a full mastery of a wide range of techniques. Rather, be prepared to talk about any research experience you've had to date (e.g. third year project, summer placements) including the strengths and limitations. I fell fowl of this once in a PhD interview outside my main topic area - put all my effort into swotting up on the topic of the post but wasn't able to talk confidently about my existing experience. Needless to say I didn't get an offer!

I'm feeling somewhat hopeful as I have nearly everything (except 3 points on their job description) covered and I hopefully have portrayed that in my CV and cover letter. I also had some voluntary experience at another UCL institue which I'm planning to go back to for the time being in Jan/Feb time to have something to work on. But then again, it just feels heartbreaking and honestly extremely frustrating when it doesn't work out. I only started to see positions for graduates recently too, before all I kept seeing was positions for PhD candidates. So it's either I wasn't looking properly or there wasn't as much available as there is now. I feel like this month I'm not going to have done anything except apply for jobs and hopefully interviews start coming in the new year.

M

Quote From TreeofLife:
I think most jobs are like this to be honest.

I've applied to basic roles which I haven't got much experience in (admin, office work) only a few months here and there and they reply within a week usually atleast, some within days. I'm not too interested in these except for a temporary situation, my main focus in academic roles prior to doing post-grad.