Southern Food in Britain

O

======= Date Modified 14 47 2008 14:47:02 =======
========== This thread had been moved ==========
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
I cannot help ( in my quest for PhD sustenance of the food kind) of the absolute proliferation ( thats a PhD sized word :p) of Southern ( Southern US I should perhaps clarify) food everywhere. ( in constrast to the missing Taco Bell, or missing Tex Mex of any sort...) There is of course KFC, but then there is Maryland Chicken, and Dixie Chicken, and various other places that offer up Southern fried chicken, southern fried potatoes, etc.

Why so much southern food in the UK?!!!

Maryland Chicken is actually pretty good , I had some for lunch the other day, when I was craving Taco Bell.

Oh, and then some sort of mysitque about the state of Indiana in relation to pizza...you see Indiana pizzas advertised...which always puzzles me. What is the image of Indiana? and that would link it to pizza? Very puzzling.

O

My own image of Indiana, car racing aside, is a large flat state without many distinguishing features. Well, there was Bobby Knight, right?! (up) But thats got nothing to do with pizza....it would be the equivalent of naming a pizza....thinking....Milton Keynes pizza.

S

Am not sure that its 'southern' american food as such just american. I don't think many people in britian realise that southern fried chicken is from the south etc.

I'm not really a fan of southern fried chicken really, only ever had the KFC stuff but its yuck. Do like a good pepperoni pizza though...and i suppose that must have some american influence.

Have you tried what we call "Fish and Chips" Olivia?

O

Quote From andyh:

Have you tried what we call "Fish and Chips" Olivia?

Oh yes, and I thought it was lovely. I wanted to find the kind wrapped up in newspaper, but am told that is no longer done due to health and safety reasons ( perhaps brought in by some EC health regulation?). The fish was lovely in the batter, nevertheless, and chips with their malt vinegar, yummy!!! A local caf has chicken and chips and have tried those a few times as well, very nice! =)

H

Olivia, are you what they call "a redneck"?

S

Olivia
Have you ever had an omelette sandwich, you just haven't lived unless you have! the best thing since sliced bread!!;-)

O

Dixie chicken exists in the UK

O

Quote From happydays:

Dear me what a question!!! Checks color of neck...no, its not red at all, its British summer sun tan glow in the dark white.

O

Quote From sascha:

Olivia
Have you ever had an omelette sandwich, you just haven't lived unless you have! the best thing since sliced bread!!;-)

Oh yes, have had an omelette sandwich--they are a regular feature in my evening tea.

O

Quote From OldGregg:

Dixie chicken exists in the UK

Yes, that was the point of the post...that the UK has Maryland Chicken and Dixie Chicken....not franchises you find in the US--or not that I have seen--just the UK.

O

Quote From happydays:

And I even took a quizl to make sure....you can take one yourself! http://www.blogthings.com/howredneckareyouquiz/

You Are 0% Redneck I'll slap you so hard, your clothes will be outta style.
You ain't no redneck - you're all Yankee!

O

sorry Olivia, i mis-read your post. . Do you like 'real ale'?

O

Quote From OldGregg:

sorry Olivia, i mis-read your post. . Do you like 'real ale'?

Fav pub drink is a black and tan ( Guinness and whatever ale is available on tap) with a chaser of whiskey. (up)

S

Quote From olivia:

And I even took a quizl to make sure....you can take one yourself! http://www.blogthings.com/howredneckareyouquiz/

Apparently I'm 5% redneck....maybe its cos I park me car on the grass- we're have a graywater system fitted under the drive- so its all in the name of being environmentally friendly!