The exercise thread

S

hi wally
my friend took up YOGA and lost 10lbs. No kidding. But you have to stick to it everyday.
I think the exercise that we are all supposed to do is the kind that also makes your heart beat very fast.
only THEN its considered a cardiovascular workout :-)

I recommend dancing!!!! for everyone :-)
happy satchi

K

Hey Teek- yeah, I did Muay Thai and Okamido ('wolf style' - very similar to Thai) for about 10 years, I love my kickboxing! Not able to at the moment as my foot is still recovering from its crash, but hope to get back to it at some point. I really love fighting, the only thing is I am so tired a lot of the time with the PhD that sometimes I don't fight to the best of my ability and that really irritates me, so I have taken more to non-competitive sports for the moment, although the boxercise classes are good fun (no fighting though!). My friends think I am crazy with the kickboxing- in the club where I am there are only lads there plus me, so I would get home after a session and my hands and arms would be shaking so much from holding the pads and punching that I couldn't even hold a glass of water! Great fun thoguh :) KB

S

Now that I'm writing up, I go to the gym most days - it's my big outing for the day! I really like the fact that when I'm there I'm concentrating on breathing, and various bits of pain in my body as I push myself, and not thinking about the thesis. It's the only time when I really don't think about the thesis all day - lovely.

I use the treadmill, and do cycle classes, which I love. I also do weights in a circuit class - and this is really, really good, as it loosens all my muscles. Before I did weights I used to have an almost permanent knot of tension in my shoulders, sore neck etc from stuudying all the time, and this is now gone. My gym is also not at all intimidating, lots of middle-aged mums, a v. nice atmosphere.

Despite all the exercise, I haven't lost weight - I think sitting and being sedentary at my desk for 14 hours a day counters this, but at least I'm not putting on weight. Writing up is definitely hazardous to your health!

N

I exercise every day as I have a horse on DIY livery, meaning that I look after him myself. He is expensive to keep and it can be hard when it comes to time management as I have to attend to him in the morning and evening, but he is definitely worth it. In terms of exercise mucking his stable out etc seems to have toned my arms really well and I try to ride him 5/6 days a week although I don't have time to compete any more, I like to keep him fit, and it keeps me fit; getting out in the fresh air every day definitely gives my cheeks a rosy glow as well!

I'm not advising you to go out and buy yourself a horse, but I think doing something outside would really help, like mountain biking or running. I'd really like to get into running, I've heard that its really beneficial in terms of fitness and psychological wellbeing.

N

I got a Wii Fit for Christmas :$

I try to use it for 20-30 minutes in the morning, if I'm working at home. It wakes me up and stops me feeling sluggish, which I'm liable to do if I don't leave the house.

W

Today I bought some swimming shorts and tomorrow is the big day... Was checking online and it costs £3-30 for one hour! Better have some playful dolphins and a walrus in the pool at that price!

Just make sure there aren't any killer whales around...

Doesn't your uni have a pool, they're usually quite cheap for their own students. I've got an old uni staff card for a uni pool near where I live and it's only £1.00.

W

Yeah, my uni's pool would be cheaper. The only problem is it's two hours away and the one I'm going to start going to is just down the road from me - so it'll still work out cheaper.

A

pfff my uni has refurbished the gym and now opened membership to everyone, which means that the price of membership has gone up 150% in 3 years....the pool is taken during the day for school children doing lessons, and only if you are a full member are you allowed in in the evenings, otherwise you're only allowed to pay (a ridiculous £4) at the door during 9-3.30.....total nonsense!
However, I ramble, I meant to say good luck for your big swim Wally! It's fun to hang your legs up over the side of the pool and lie upseide along the wall and see everyone swim upside down! :)

M

Can I come on board with this? I used to be pretty fit between yoga, running and dancing but that was years ago. Tried the uni gym but the hours were really bad and now I live too far away. otherwise it was pretty good, had loads of fun with the machines. Classes always scared me so I just snuck in and out. Nowadays the best I manage is the incidental bits of walking to/from bus stops and occasionally some social dancing. Thanks you for the motivation to get back to it like you! The endorphins, stamina and de-stress I found great during undergrad. Maybe I could try taking up yoga again. Good luck swimming!

A

Hey Walminski, enough of the the gender stereo-typing! I'm a woman and I do running and had a weights session last week (with a female instructor)! You can stuff your power-walking - that's for ladies who lunch...

Hey Wal, I hope the swim went well. Tomorrow, I too will swim. There, I've said it now, so I have to do it. I will take my goggles and do a bit of crawl too.

W

Swimming was fun today! It uses every muscle in your body and I forgot just how invigorating and relaxing it can be. Reminds me of being a school kid though, as I still stink of chlorine even after 2 showers. It was quiet being a weekday morning, so lots of peace and quiet. I'm going to do it for one hour 3 days a week from now on. Eska, it's a good idea and very enjoyable, so make sure you do if you can. :-)

I will swim tomorrow and I think this could be the re-start of my swimming routine. I like to go once or twice a week, that way it stays fun and I look forward to it; otherwise it gets repetitive for me.
It's good for the personal hygiene, grooming challenges us PhDs face too - we are forced to get wet and, thus, clean.

K

I do a run...okay, run and walk lately...with the dog, which is great for getting into a totally different headspace for a while, not to mention sun and fresh air.

Initially I tried bringing my thoughts, and even interviews with me on an ipod, but that seemed to spoil it.
Sure, I got some great ideas in the process, but I also gave up the one 'free time' escape afforded to me, which was not good in the long run.

I am also considering doing something a little bit more social, like a running group in my area, so my communication skills do not completely disappear...although I am begining to speak pretty good Hungarian Viszla:-)