The exercise thread

J

i walk the dog, so that's some exercise, I spend every school day running around here and there, and always take the stairs rather than the lift- funnily enough the students perfer the lift if they can get away with it, so I am quite active, and I've bought myself a Wii fit thing, the trainer one, and I try to get in 3x 30min sessions a week. I use it more during the school hols, and maybe miss one or two during school times because of meetings etc. Often I feel I can't be bothered to start with, but I am pleased when I've done it. I do run occasionally, but it isn't somrthing I enjoy, mainly because I am a useless runner, but I suppose it gives the bystanders a laugh. :$:-)

hmm I can't do swimming as I have long hair and just cannot face it getting ravaged by chlorine. I walk the dog everyday up and down a big hill. My aim for this week is to get the Wii fit out for the first time in a few months, do a dreaded weigh in and then start using it again, and doing my home exercise bike. i want to buy a home cross trainer as well as when I worked out gym membership, parking, petrol and the fact I am only allowed to use cross trainer and exercise bike (because of stupid spinal problems) it worked out cheaper just to buy them - and posh versions like you get at the gym anyway + I can watch my own DVDs (mainly adam sandler films :$ )

C

======= Date Modified 06 Mar 2010 23:12:38 =======
I bought myself a little trampoline and it's awesome! It cost me around £25 about a year and a half ago.

I tend to leave it out in the middle of the room right near my desk, and every time I get stressed or bored I go and have a bounce on it. It's great fun! You can jump on it while you're thinking about your work, you can jump on it to music, while you watch something on BBC iplayer, or just go and act like a plonker on it. Either way, it gets rid of all my shoulder and neck tensions, gives me a lovely rosy glow, AND with all that jumping I'm probably burning a few cals too.
Oh yeah, also, if like me you're worried about what all this sitting around is doing for your circulation, it totally sorts that out too.

WARNING: just don't jump on it after downing a cup of tea or after eating. I learnt this one the hard way.
:-)

C

Ooh - the other thing - swap your desk chair for a gym ball. Sounds daft, but your body automatically adjusts itself to keeping you in a really good posture, and while it does this it tones up all your back and tummy muscles - without the need to do sit ups and all that boring stuff.

S

Oh dear sweet lord. Just went to the gym for the first time in quite a while and went at it like I used to. My body can't stop shaking from the adrenal it took to maintain a level of exercise that would have been effortless a couple of years ago.

1 gym session down, many more to go before I go to Thailand next year (my sister's getting married there.)

I tried to go jogging yesterday, but found out I can't. Not because my back surgeon told me not to (I love to ignore authority figures) but because I have found that I can only walk OR sprint and am physically incapable of doing anything in between. I didn't realise this - I thought I was jogging but my other half pointed out that I was going way too fast! So maybe I should just stick to doing a really short sprint in the morning??

S

Sneaks: I have a pretty similar problem when it comes to running. Once, when I went jogging with my sister, I ended up sprinting, stopping, waiting for her to catch up, then sprinting again. I imagine including a bit of a walk would be better tan stopping though.

PS: I realise you would look foolish to any bystander.

M

Sounds like you both naturally move at the fastest way to cover a long distance - alternating running fast and walking briskly. Great training for your heart !

My husband has made a regime of exercises for me to do each evening that gets harder every evening. He does 4 times what I do so there's great fun incentive! Only four days in but already feel stronger and firmer. Night off tonight because we're going dancing instead - can't wait!

I'm going to go swimming tomorrow. And I really mean it this time. I can feel hot cross buns and cadburys chocolate button chicken attaching themselves to my limbs, as I type.

W

I've stopped swimming until the Easter Holidays for the school kids are over. It's like monkey section of Knowsely Safari Park underwater. They scream, shout and dive bomb, which ruins a relaxing swimming experience. Hmph, so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until they're back at school.

Thanks for the tip Wal, I'll make sure I go to the adults swim.