two for joy? [baked in a postgraduate pie]

C

...a pocket full of rye...

S

four and twenty blackbirds..

we surely need a thread devoted to nursery rhymes, don't you think?

S

NO! No baking of magpies, no baking of blackbirds!

C

Nursery rhymes rock!

Yes - no baked, fried, cooked or sauted animals here!

But the handfuls of rye are okay with me as a pie filling. Though some mixed veg would bulk it up a bit.

S

can we bake pigeons instead?

C

Urm no. How about baking a nice butternut squash instead?

S

doesn't quite have the same ring to it. How about baked seagull?

C

I think we are losing the thread a little here....

No birds shall be baked in any pie. Unless you happen to find a deceased seagull on the tide line...

S

Since I wrote my last post, every seagull in the vicinity has vanished. They're cleverer than we think....

How about roadkill?

S

Actually, after I posted I pondered the said nursery rhyme, and it seems that birds can withstand being baked in a pie?! ('when the pie was opened, the birds began to sing') Not that I'd condone anyone trying this. Must have something to do with 18th century (or earlier - see Wikipedia) cooking techniques. Hmm. They also seemed to be able to survive the cutting of the pie!

S

Didn't we have a smiley?

S

and a smiley?

Now there's a thought.

C

That would be quite a spectacle! If cruel.

Roadkill is fine. Be sure to wash the tyre rubber and engine oil of that 'coon before you bake it.

I

my gran was fed up with telling her neighbour about her loose chickens. one day, one of them (inevitably) got run over. nan dutifully pointed this out to her neighbour - SO THAT SHE COULD PICK IT UP BEFORE ANYONE ELSE DID! (this is in a Polish village btw).

waste not want not i guess...

S

hey everyone,
as i grew up with an english mum but away from england, i missed out on most of the nursery rhymes or rather there wasn't anything to keep them in my memory as i grew older. i have this vague memory of something "hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle,..." something about a dog jumping across the moon, a cow and a spoon and having fun. anyone help me out with this... how does it go, for real?
thankeee....