Advice needed

R

Hello everyone,
I just finished my 1st year and need a piece of advice, actually a few, if you don't mind:
1. Change of supervisor: I was wondering if I can change of supervisor if I am on a studentship linked to his area of research? Do I loose the funding in this case?
2. Teaching: 100 of teaching - is it a lot or not? How these hours are usually calculated per semester or academic year, i.e. how many hours per preparation and per actual teaching?
Apologies if my questions may seem basic, but this is the only venue where I can ask without repercussions.
Many thanks, Rina

T

Hi,
for my knowledge you won't be able to change supervisor if he is the grant holder which sponsors your PhD studentship. This was the case for me; but you might be lucky and you might get the change, I would speak with the director of your department to have advice.

I am not sure about the second questions but it sounds a lot if you have to do 100h teaching. In that case I think that you should get a paid contract as teaching fellow. Preparing classes can be very time consuming if you have to do your own material. If you get all the material from who run the course the previous year than it's easier but you still need to read it carefully and rehearse your lecture.
Good luck

W

100 hours of teaching per semester is quite reasonable, imo. I had 180 hours worth of teaching per semester and I believe that's the general average.

R

Thank you all!
Looks like I am stuck with my sup and doomed to teach. Please welcome me to depressed PhD students group. I am sure you will see me around soon...
Best,
Rina