Advice needed

D

======= Date Modified 26 Aug 2012 20:39:23 =======

D

Hi Dave,

I am sorry you found yourself in such a hard situation. I can hardly imagine how stressful it must feel having to do do much work in such a short time.

Firstly, I hope you do not have to work with other projects, and you have a few money aside to get by the next few months. Once this is sorted you should try to get an extension for a few months. I wouldn't put it in the grounds of bad supervision, as the last think you want is tension between you and your supervisor now.

Then try to lock yourself in the house and start wrapping everything together as good as you can. I believe that because you have quite a lot of experience as a researcher and your work is already peer-reviewed you can do it. It is just a few months of hard work until you get your PhD and move on with your life.

Good luck. You can even participate in some accountability threads here setting daily goals and achievements.

D

======= Date Modified 26 Aug 2012 20:38:44 =======

Hi Dave,

Couldn't you ask for a suspension of study? Perhaps your GP could help you with this (I reckon you must feel burn out and stressed). That's not an extension, and you could work in that time.

I know something about luck of supervision, so I can sympathize with you. As it has been already said, if you have published it means that you have done some valuable work. It is now time to motivate yourself to pull it together and submit it.

Complaining about your sup now would only jeopardize your submission. I am sure that he will be very friendly once you have passed your viva (I have been there too, Grrrrr!!!).

D

I suppose I could try but I'm also employed as a PostDoc at the same University. I have a critical deadline coming up with that project in the next couple of months. My current boss will go nuts if I get signed off sick and I'll loose any chance of getting my funding extended or a decent reference, which means in six months time I'll have no job! Unfortunately I have a mortgage to pay and a baby on the way! I really do feel at the end of the line with all this, I can't see any solution other than to pack in my PhD.

You could pull out *all* the stops to put together what you can by the deadline. Carry on with improvements until the viva, when you can bring up better arguments/discussion of problems or lacunae. Accept that you may (will?) get majors or an R&R - but regard it as the only extension you are going to get. And the examiners' report will actually give you guidance about what you need to do.

Yes, it's a cr*p solution, but it might just save your PhD. After you've got it, no-one cares how you got there.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

======= Date Modified 17 Apr 2012 09:53:18 =======
It is a very difficult situation to be in, but I think that if you are very focused you can make it. You must also accept that as you have all these other commitments running at the same time, some things have to go by the board! Bur remember, it's only for a short period of time.

I would recommend you to look at other successful theses that were recently awarded a PhD in your department and look very carefully at how they are structured etc. It was certainly more useful to me than my sup's comments.

I wouldn't think about re-submissions/ major corrections now. I was convinced I would get major corrections, and I passed with minors, so think positive until reality proves you otherwise. Good luck!

I agree with the other posters, in that it might be a good idea to just complete the final chapters in the next few weeks and submit. Even if you do get 'major corrections and resubmit' from the examiners, at least you will be given some months to complete them before your viva. Can you stretch this 'three week' deadline into about five. Many deadlines can be tweaked by a week or three usually without it being a major event orrequiring an application?

Good luck with it all-don't lose heart

pjlu