Advise before starting PhD

D

Hello,

I got fully funded PhD position for this October in Biological Sciences in London.
Now as I am really excited to start my graduate studies I would like to know advises in general which I should keep in mind during the journey of PhD. I have three months to go, so what I can do meantime? Which important aspect I should always remember when I start my studies till 4 years.

Replies from current PhD student are much appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

E

Hi, I started a thread a while back about advice for new PhD students:

http://www.postgraduateforum.com/threadViewer.aspx?TID=18291

Which College are you starting at in October?

D

Hello,
thank you for the reply.

I am joining King's College London.

Kind regards

P

Hey Dave,

I'm doing exactly the same thing as you :) Gonna start in Kings in October!
We should meet up some time ;)

D

Hey Podge,

That's gr8.. Yes we should meet. In which division your starting ur PhD?

P

That's the Diabetes & Nutritional Sciences division within the School of Medicine. You?

D

I am with Randal Division, Guy's campus.

P

Ahh. I think we're not at the same spot, but it's always good to have someone in another department ;)

Do you know if there's like a welcoming/introduction thingy for new PhD students?

D

Yes, it is there in 1st week of October.
Moreover, in my department one more is there at the end of August.

regards

P

Great!!!
How do you know all this? Haven't got any information on this kinda stuff (or I got something per mail at the other end of the world, which I can't check out ;) )

Hi Davenikita2

FindAPhD have a number of articles on what it's like to do a PhD in their PhD Study section.

E

Don't worry about lack of knowing when you are meant to be there! I'm due to start at Queen Mary and the department, college and university all have different ideas about when I am starting my PhD- annoying when you are trying to sort out accomodation!

S

Hi Davenikita2
there are lots of information in the main page here www.findaphd.com :-)
Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to you; it's nice to read good news.

I have some tips for you; they are not academic tips but rather practical stuff

1. Put aside some money every month, save early in case your funding finishes before your phd :-)

2. Be very organized (with folders etc.) with your documents (for example your progress report or registration document) because maybe 2 or 3 years later your supervisor could ask you for it (and you've forgotten where you've put it--and all the other copies look exactly the same because they've been amended so many times!)

3. Do as much as you can in your first year (sometimes the first year tends to be "free-er", you have less pressure, less things to do etc.) When I say do, an example is to read as much as you can first; because after you start analysing data and writing it gets harder and harder to squeeze time for everything else :-)

4. Find a good place to live. Otherwise it will be very hard for you to work. Also, if you are not happy with your living circumstances (for example: the heating is not working, bathroom leaking etc.), do something about it. Don't be bullied into living in a less-than-livable home.

5. When you are stuck, always seek advice. Don't keep problems to yourself otherwise they'll stay in your head and drive you crazy.

Once again, congratulations and have a wonderful journey
love satchi

D

Dear All,
Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

Dear Satchi, you had provided a very wonderful piece of advises and I always keep this in my mind. Just one more thing I need to know that I have still 2 months to go before my start of PhD so should I start reading now?
And may I know from your you did your graduate studies?

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards

D

Dear All,
Thank you very much for all the suggestions.

Dear Satchi, you had provided a very wonderful piece of advises and I always keep this in my mind. Just one more thing I need to know that I have still 2 months to go before my start of PhD so should I start reading now?
And may I know from your you did your graduate studies?

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards