almost there with a 15,000 word chapter...but soooooooo bored...

M

"My word count's going up and down like a yoyo"

Tell me about it - I've just edited away 500 words :(

A

I thought you weren't coming back until 23.50?!

T

Hey, how's everyone going? I'm just about done in and hopefully, just about done. In any case, I can't do much more as the brain is turning into mush. Word count still about the same but it's becoming more coherent. Yippee!

I think I might call it a day now. Have a good night everyone, I'm off to my bed.

C

Just finished my conclusion. May call it a day to to start nice and fresh tmrw.

Congrats on finishing.

Hmmm, how long are other people's chapters if mine is freakishly long?

B

Mine are generally around 10,000 words long but a couple are coming in at 15,000 words or even longer, helping me reach a 80,000 total.

L

*joins the, "I have a monday deadline too"* club.

I have to send a rough draft of my results section of one of my chapters tommorow ! eeeeeek. i got loads left to do. so looks like it might have to be a late night for me!

T

i am catching a paper deadline and some project meeting slides, and I am moving these days.. look at the mess!

T

I'm back for the last part of the chapter. Probably pull an all-nighter at this rate.

My chapters vary in length quite a bit, from 6000 at the shortest to 16,000 at the longest. I usually divide work into chapters based on how much I need to convey with each. Don't think there is a standard length. I am, however, doing a Humanities PhD. Which area is yours in?

L

how's everyone doing with their stuff that needs to be done by tommorow?

it's 6.24pm and i haven't done anything eeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

anyone else suffering from the sunday blues?

okay i really need to get my act together and finish my results draft chapter. because I have to email it to my supervisor tommorow.

so much to do!!

M

Sunday blues? YES! Yesterday I did so well. Today, not so good at all. I just can't find the energy. So far, 500 words written and some restructuring.

I'm having a self-doubt day about the 'originality' of my thesis.

T

I too always find the weekends tough because my inclination is to relax from Friday evening onwards to Monday mornings.

I too regularly doubt the originality of my thesis. But having met some of the 'star' academics in my field in the past year, I am convinced that it is not so much the brilliance or otherwise of the thesis that matters as much as the possession of one.

In other words, it doesn't matter if it is highly original or merely original in the synthesis it presents, it is what you are awarded the degree that matters.

L

500 words, thats great!

i am going through a "i hate my supervisor for saying that HE did all the hard work for my 2nd paper"
when i did all the work.

but trying to put it behind me, and working on my chapter. at least my 2nd supervisor knows the truth.

i am still working away on the results section, and have Gattaca on in the background keeping me company .

T

Sorry, that last sentence should read "it is what you do after being awarded the degree that matters"

L

tetris is right!

i too worry about how original and ground breaking my work is. but science it's not really THAT original. usually stems from other peoples ideas. even when you do think of an idea. later on you find someone has already done it, or a similar way, and you're like , damn it!!

--

i must say, it's nice to know you all are working away on a sunday evening. don't feel so alone and lonely.. misery loves company as they say!!

T

Worse, it's actually a long weekend here! So while my nearest and dearest are resting in anticipation of another day off work, I am slaving over this #&%@#$ thesis!