ARGHH

C

Sorry to vent but I absolutely despise this PhD.

I'm at the 2 and a half year mark and this PhD is making me absolutely miserable. I'm currently in life sciences but changed disciplines from maths/engineering under the promise that my PhD would be quite mathsy. However, 30 months down the line and all I do is the most dull uninspiring lab work which hardly ever works and is a pain in the arse. Added to that, my supervisor never really had a clear mind what my PhD was going to be on and so kept changing topics every 6 or so months.

All in all that's made the transition from maths to life sciences nigh impossible. I have absolutely no idea what this PhD is about which is making it hard for me to even begin to read relevant about stuff because 2 months down the line, all that reading will have been pointless(that has happened so many times). My supervisor has no clue what is even going on in the field I'm supposedly studying.

ARGH

I maybe have 2 chapters of data , 3 at the most but one of those is going to contain negative results. There really hasn't been one moment of this PhD where I've been happy. All my friends/family want me to quit and I think I agree with them. My supervisor is now pressurizing me to buckle down (oh yeah like I haven't already) and finish this thesis but I just don't have the energy any more. I'm so bored of this tedious nonsense and I just don't care anymore...

Sorry I needed to ramble

cheers

R

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Capone. Can anyone offer some support?

Hi Capone, look I don't know that much about maths phds-or life sciences for that matter, but given that you have endured two and a half years of hell, is it possible to sort of compromise on your present position (just quit) and gather all your stuff into a Masters rather than the PhD.

Could you do something in around 3 months or so? A masters is a worthwhile endeavour but usually the amount, length and level of work is just that step below a PhD. But saying that, because it isn't quite so rigorous or onerous as a degree or thesis, it might be possible to do this in a short period of time and then walk way, free, happier, but with something to show for all of your troubles.

What do you think? Is this a viable option at all?

C

Hi Capone, I would second Pjlu's advice and suggest to wrap up what you have into a Masters and leave it at that. I am in a similar situation myself (exact same timeline too) and am hoping to finish with a research Masters by the end of summer. Although the supervision hasn't changed, at least the goals are quicker and easier to reach so that supervision isn't as important!