Australia

R

Yes, we made the move about 6 weeks ago. It has been difficult getting back into my routine of working on my thesis, but I think I'm there now and only 2.5 years until I complete! ;-)

Have you heard back from them Delta?

D

Sadly, no real success as yet and I contacted about 30 universities. Some academics got back and offered advice but no real take up which is a pity. I'll just have to keep searching the websites. Have submitted some hard copy applications as well and so fingers crossed...

It really is tough out there on the job front - I've applied for a LOT of things and haven't got any further but I'm OK as I know it's more the circumstances than anything to do with me.

Good luck and best wishes to you. (up)

D

Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

W

I’ll try to answer this as well.

From a job perspective, be aware that Australia is a two-speed economy. Anything to do with mining and related support industries has zero unemployment. If you have any engineering related skills and are prepared to move to where the action is, you will be employed almost instantly. An English lass I know with project scheduling skills is on $250,000 per annum (about 160,000 GBP per year) for working in Brisbane.

The down side is the impact that mining is having on the rest of the Australian economy. Mining exports has driven the AUD to be above parity with the USD. Makes imports cheap and exported produce expensive. This is seriously impacting tourism, farming, and manufacturing industries. So, there is some serious economic structural adjustment underway and not everyone is happy.

In terms of comparisons between countries, I find Tasmania is very similar to the English countryside. (However, Tasmania is struggling financially.) I find similarities between London and Sydney (weather is completely different though the traffic is not). In terms of lifestyle, Australia has it all over England. In terms of culture and the arts, England has it all over Australia.

Some people never get use to the heat. Others wonder if they could ever go back to the cold. The northern parts of Australia (e.g. Queensland) are a great place in the winter. Some UK immigrants struggle with the egalitarian, forthright, plain speaking Australian culture. Others revel in it.

If deciding between unis, the Australian sandstone universities (Google it) and/or the Group of Eight consider themselves the more prestigious. If you are concentrating on an academic career in Oz, it is advantageous to have one of these on your CV at some point. From a practical perspective for undergraduates, there is little difference. A degree is a degree in the eyes of most employers. While some give preference to a sandstone Uni, others have a preference not to employ graduates from a sandstone Uni.

Oh, and be aware of the immigration requirements for working visas.

D

Quote From whynot:

Some people never get use to the heat. Others wonder if they could ever go back to the cold. The northern parts of Australia (e.g. Queensland) are a great place in the winter. Some UK immigrants struggle with the egalitarian, forthright, plain speaking Australian culture. Others revel in it.

Thank you so much for the very helpful post - it was great.

The heat could pose a problem for me but I absolutely adore forthright, plain speaking people and this could be the making for me. I hate false modesty and false politeness. Thanks again. All this information is fantastic.

W

Quote From delta:

The heat could pose a problem for me

Don’t let the heat put you off. I sleep in an air conditioned bedroom. I drive to work in an air conditioned car. (Trains and buses in most capital cities are air conditioned if public transport is your thing.) I work in an air conditioned office. On a really hot day at home, we put the air conditioning on in the rumpus room and watch the television.

When I was over in the UK last October, I caught the last of the summer “heat wave”. I scoffed at the calling of 28C a heat wave, but I actually found it rather stifling in the UK. The houses are designed for the cold, not the heat. Being on the tube was unpleasantly hot and stuffy. Most houses in Oz are designed for the heat. Windows open wide to catch summer breezes. And there is nothing like dozing on the back deck (or veranda) on a summers afternoon, with a cold drink nearby.

Brisbane and north are paradise in the winter. Temps typically range from 10C to 21C. Winter is the dry season in northern Australia, so most winter days have clear blue sky. Sky blue - like you have never seen it.

D

======= Date Modified 01 Apr 2012 08:59:26 =======
Oh, I wouldn't. If I can get a job in Australia before I get one here I'm going as I think I'd regret it otherwise.

I hope it's easier to make friends in Australia than it is here because I find people here are reluctant to embrace new friendships or get to know new people socially.

Thanks for posting!

D

Well my first 'proper' job application for a post in Australia has been rejected.

L

Sorry to hear that Delta, keep going (up)

D

Thanks - I will and the same to you with your PhD!

It was quite funny in a way, they told me by email that I hadn't been shortlisted and later sent an email saying they were considering my application and would be in contact in due course. I think those in their HR dept. need to communicate better.

L

Thanks! I'm trying but today it feels like pushing a very big heavy rock up a very steep and slippery slope!

Your situation sounds very weird. I'd be asking for clarification if I were you. It kind of puts you off a bit, my partner has had emails addressed to someone else from a HR department before and it's not clear if they were declining his application or someone else's! Grr.

D

...but you'll get there, just dig your heels in to give you staying power.

You could be right. I just assumed a couple from HR were contacting people and the left hand wasn't aware with what the right was doing and so the order of emails sent got mixed up.

I'll check with them.

Thanks.

L

Sounds like a plan! I am not looking forward to being in your shoes Delta, I hate applying for jobs! Wishing you lots and lots of luck!