Australia

D

Many thanks!

The only advice I can give you is try to have at least one article published (I don't) and look for jobs in advance of finishing. I did and very nearly got the first job I applied for (1st reserve and this was about a year ago) but have had absolutely no success since and only 3 interviews in the last 6 months and I've submitted stacks of applications.

L

Thanks Delta, and you will get something eventually. I think it's just an unfavourable job market at the moment and a lot of companies, from my experiences with my partner's job hunt, have someone in mind before they even start the recruitment process, which is absolutely not fair! Either that or you've got totally overqualified people applying for jobs and the employer gives it to them instead of giving someone new a chance! I really hope it starts to pick up soon, fingers crossed for you!

D

Thanks Lindalou83. You've been very supportive and the kind comments are appreciated. Thank you.

A

Me too Delta! The two jobs I applied for in Australia were rejected, and haven't heard back from one in New Zealand, so I presume it's a no-go also. I am however thinking of heading over to Oz anyway, I'm giving myself until July - if I have nothing before then, I'm off, and shall job hunt while I'm there. I'll go mental if I stay here and keep plodding away and getting nothing, may as well use unemployment to do something good!

D

AQ, that is so gutsy - good on you!

My problem is I don't know a single person in Australia and am not well travelled and I'd be a nervous wreck landing in a strange place, without a job and without knowing how I was going to be able to keep myself. If I had a job to go to, I could build the rest around that (because I'd have somewhere to go to most days, have an income, have colleagues etc).

I'd love to be more adventurous but it's just not in my make up which is a pity.

I've sent you a PM.

H

What a coincidence, I am studying in Uni South Australia as a PhD student. Been in Australia for three years now. On the job front, I do not know much since I am first year PhD. But I heard that the difference from US Unis is that Australian Unis are actually quite happen to hire their own graduates. (Given they are not too useless, can generate publications etc)

D

======= Date Modified 05 Apr 2012 06:31:35 =======
Well, I hope you enjoy your studies.

I haven't been shortlisted by the University of South Australia either so that's two rejections from Australia, as on checking with the other university they also definitely rejected my initial application.

A

Read and replied Delta!

D

Thank you AQ!

D

Quote From delta:

Thanks - I will and the same to you with your PhD!

It was quite funny in a way, they told me by email that I hadn't been shortlisted and later sent an email saying they were considering my application and would be in contact in due course. I think those in their HR dept. need to communicate better.

Just got another email about this post telling me it had been withdrawn but may be advertised in the future. Strange HR dept. that need to get their act together.